Status
Not open for further replies.

madtaxi

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
This is my very first build, and i just want to see what people who have more of idea what there doing think about my plan. The pc will be mainly for web browsing and gaming

cpu- w/ Phenom II X4 965

mobo- ASRock 870 Extreme3
2-4gig of ddr3
i plan on using the integrated sound

video card- Asus EAH5770 Radeon HD 5770

I have a Gateway 830GM and i want to see if i can reuse the disk drives, fans, heat sink, hard drive, or power supply(200w)

Any blatant problems or suggestions?

I would like to overclock eventually

Solution
The base of the system is pretty good, but the key factor here will be your budget.

I'd recommend the 955 over the 965, since the 965/970 is just a stock OCed 955 chip. You can up the CPU clock past the 965 without changing the voltage.

Get 4GB RAM for gaming. 2 GB will hold your system back.

I would suggest something along the lines of the 6850 (again, dependent on budget) since the 5770 is a bit behind the curve. With either GPU, you CAN NOT use the old power supply. You'll need at least a 550W for your system at stock settings, and more for an OCed system.

If you are planning on OCing, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. You can OC pretty high if you add a second fan (comes with 2 brackets), and its cheap (under $30). It's also...
The base of the system is pretty good, but the key factor here will be your budget.

I'd recommend the 955 over the 965, since the 965/970 is just a stock OCed 955 chip. You can up the CPU clock past the 965 without changing the voltage.

Get 4GB RAM for gaming. 2 GB will hold your system back.

I would suggest something along the lines of the 6850 (again, dependent on budget) since the 5770 is a bit behind the curve. With either GPU, you CAN NOT use the old power supply. You'll need at least a 550W for your system at stock settings, and more for an OCed system.

If you are planning on OCing, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. You can OC pretty high if you add a second fan (comes with 2 brackets), and its cheap (under $30). It's also not huge, so it won't block RAM slots and the like as with some other big coolers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.