SATA-3 Round Cable (left angle)

-MikeR-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Left (as in going up and out of the HDs/ROMs) angle SATAIII round cables, do they exist?

I have left angle SATAII flat cables, but im really looking for the above. Are my Google skills weak, are my eyes old and tired or is there no such creature (yet?)?

BTW, ive found sites claiming left angle but indeed they are right angles, at least from the pics.

TIA
Mike

-MikeR-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
They are different.

SATA 2 cables = 3GB/Sec

SATA 3 cables= 6GB/Sec

These are flat cables but you get the point, look at the notch.
Left Angle
sata_1rr_sml.jpg

Right Angle
sata3l-sml.jpg

Need to use SATA III cables for SATA III drives. Using SATA II cables won't hit 6 Gbps speed. Wasn't an issue until the more recent SATA III SSD's came out that are beginning to fill that bandwidth. That's my understanding.

OOOPPS!! You are correct, there is one SATA cable specification. When they (the powers that be) decided to double the data rate a second time they wanted to implement it without requiring new cables for the end user. There's a crucial forum here that has some links to relevant knowledge:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SATA-III-cable-C300-UD7/td-p/11339

I'm really glad that your position made me try to verify mine. Now I know I don't have to pay for expensive cables.

-MikeR-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the link, good info.

So no difference in speeds, thats fine, hell im not even going to using SSDs or anything right now, but my case is getting a complete makeover for the last time (for now :pfff: ) and down the road i dont want to replace them.

All that and the fact that the only round SATA2 ive found are in the UK and listed as a "bulk" item and its a right angle. Except for "Horizontal Left Angle" that he has. :eek:

Im going to chalk it up as, there are no Quality SATA2/3 Round left angle cables.

Now im going to start looking for SATA cables that angle and can be stacked. Wish me luck. :pt1cable: At lest i learned something. heh

On the MicroCenter site, I have seen the same picture (cable) advertised as 'Right' on one page and as 'Left' on a different page. They didn't have an explanation when I brought this to their attention. Fortunately, I am close to a MicroCenter store, and bought the correct SATA cable by matching to what I already had. (For adding an HDD to a Dell Optiplex 745).

Please keep this in mind when you buy online from a catalog.