CPU Temperatures increased?

exposed

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
i have just built a new pc , i used the haf 932 case. i was running cpu temps at 27-38 Celcius , there was abosolutely no cable management ( would cause less airflow so hotter temps) I bought a cpu cooler the v8 it wouldnt fit , i took everything out of the haf 932 i bought the Corsair Obsidian 800D the biggest case there is , I put everything back into it , FULL CABLE MANAGEMENT. My temperatures are now in the 40-55 Celcius range , how could this of happend?

tecmo34

Administrator
I would say it is your application of the new heat sink. It is either 1) not fully seated correctly or 2) the thermal paste application (too much or not enough/voids).

I would check these two things to see if it improves your performance.

Tom's has a great article about this I think, but now I can't find it.
Anyway.
Basically, you want to have exactly enough to cover the cpu/heatsink interface AFTER pressure is applied. This doesn't take much; do a little research for pictures. You could try a little trial and error to see what it takes to cover it.

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I'm kind of in the same boat. I just swapped from an antec 900 case to a Corsair 650D case and used a H70 in both cases and my CPU temp went up 5 degrees.
Just the air flow aint that good. Gotta buy some new fans I guess