P6t - no post, no fans. receiving power. unusually activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalemissen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Gday guys. Think I'm being overly optimistic, but hoping you can help.

I own a P6T board with an i7 920, 6ghost of Kingston 1333 RAM with corsair HX620 modular psu.

I have gone and followed all the help guides and recommended fixes, but to no avail.

I have unplugged everything. Reset CMOS, removed battery, tried second psu, and reseated mobo. Only thing I didn't do was touch CPU.

This is where the unusual activity comes into play. When I took everything off board, except for CPU, CPU fan, RAM(tried swapping all 3 to 1st slot), and water block, and resting cmos via pins, I got fan working on CPU fan pins. But, only when battery was removed. When I put it back in, it wouldn't start again. So then I tried taking it out again, but that wouldn't start it either. So I switched pins to reset and powered it on to see if that would.do anything, to my surprise it powered on again. So turned it off and tried switch it back to default, but no dice again! Now anything I do won't work. I'm stumped...

What happened for me to get here...

I have been having issues with resetting PC where the fans seem locked on at start up and won't post to the point I have to turn psu off.

Recently I have been getting BSoDs with all sort of error codes which have been all hardware related, mainly gpu and memory. Until it damaged Windows files and started with system errors. I decided then to redo my PC, reformat hard drives, bought a water cooling out, an XSPC Rasa RX240 kit. Pulled the board out, wiped down few areas for dust, installed water block, and remaining components, filled it up, (was really late at this stage) and removed filling hose from cap once I bled out air bubbles and after I top the res up with water. With out realising there was water in hose still, I removed it from the res and because I was holding pc up on angle to ensure I got all bubbles to top, water spilt down over psu cords and some of motherboard, I had power going to the res pump only, not connected to mobo.... but psu was on. I quickly turned it off without it killing me, and dried the pc out with a fan overnight.

When I put all components back together, I made my second stuff up, I plugged the Usb cable into the ie1394 port on the mobo. Plugged power in and hit power button, but all I got was the lights on power and reset.

Sorry for the huge nooby post but thought I would try and cover everything. Hope you didn't get too much of a laugh over the circumstances. If its worst case scenario, i would like to know if I should ditch P6T for a rampage board as I'm getting a taste for overclocking, hence the watercooling, or ditch the whole set up and go with a 2600k rig.(do a lot of video editing and PhotoShop and gaming so the ht would come in handy)

Thanks for reading this far ;)

Solution
X58 is a good plataform -- there is no point to go with a 2600K now. If you´re willing to overclocking, then you can make your i7 920 to go up to 4K MHz depending on your cooling system.

As for it not booting, it seems to be a problem with your mobo, can you RMA it?

jemm

Distinguished
X58 is a good plataform -- there is no point to go with a 2600K now. If you´re willing to overclocking, then you can make your i7 920 to go up to 4K MHz depending on your cooling system.

As for it not booting, it seems to be a problem with your mobo, can you RMA it?

Solution

dalemissen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I don't know, it's been a couple years since I bought it and I have a feeling that I'm the reason behind it. If I tightened the water block too tight over CPU, could that have damaged it? I can't think of what else it may be?

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
its probably ur power supply try swapping that if may spin fans and *** but if the board doesnt get the right volts it wont try to boot edit sorry didnt read that u tried another ps prob did your mobo a number or could have blown some thing check for small black burn marks on ur mobo. just get another mobo if thats the case 920's are plenty fast as soon as u clock them to 4ghz ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.