No signal to monitor

stg_77

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Last night I went to sleep with my working computer on. Today I went to use it and the monitor stayed black. Eventually I reset my computer and the monitor would read no signal. I have have unplugged the computer and held down the power button and taken out my ram. Neither helped. I noticed that my mobo is making no beep and my illuminated keyboard is not lighting up. Is it most likely a dead mobo?

Solution
f6 & f3: is the BIOS scanning your DIMMs
68: indicates that the BIOS is unable to detect RAM

This seems to be quite a common problem among the EVGA X58 boards. A lot of RMAs have been reported. Some were able to resolve this problem by using lower frequency RAM. Most of the posts I've seen on this are the same; the EVGA tech support grants the first RMA, but second board still has the problem. The tech support then suggests that the CPU is to blame.

If you can, verify that the RAM and CPU work, by installing them on a different mobo. If they do, then the mobo is the likely culprit.
Welcome to the forums, Newcomer. Try these:

1. Clear CMOS by removing the battery from the mobo for about 10 seconds.
2. If this is an old build, it is possible the the CMOS battery died.
3. Using a digital multimeter, test the P1 connector while the power is on.
4. Swap out the PSU for known working PSU.

stg_77

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
1. I just tried this and now it will power on for about 15 seconds then reset, still with no display. The post codes went from 02 01 ea 68 to f6 f3 68. In my evga manuel it says 6f (not f6) means I need to install fdd and set up bios data area parameters. What exactly does this mean?

2. The computer is about a year old so I doubt this is the issue

3&4. I don't have these available.

FDD is an acronym for Floppy Disk Drive. If you were to install one, the typical BIOS configuration would be adjusting the Boot Order to make the FDD priority 1, or the first boot device. Before the days of Flash/Thumb drives, Floppy's were used for storing small files. Sometimes these small files were needed to repair Operating Systems, or it could have been something that was designed to load before the OS. For these reasons, the BIOS has to read from the FDD first.

I doubt that the problem is because you don't have an FDD installed. However, my above explanation is just an assumption as to what the code reference was. Please post or link to your motherboard model for further assistance.

f6 & f3: is the BIOS scanning your DIMMs
68: indicates that the BIOS is unable to detect RAM

This seems to be quite a common problem among the EVGA X58 boards. A lot of RMAs have been reported. Some were able to resolve this problem by using lower frequency RAM. Most of the posts I've seen on this are the same; the EVGA tech support grants the first RMA, but second board still has the problem. The tech support then suggests that the CPU is to blame.

If you can, verify that the RAM and CPU work, by installing them on a different mobo. If they do, then the mobo is the likely culprit.

Solution