Win 7 All around VT build or upgrade

wayne_hdk

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello TM Community,

Well I am awaiting my Win 7 Pro 64 install disk to arrive in the mail and trying to set out on either an upgrade or build path.
Currently running a P5E, Intel E120, 4G Ram, Asus EN8400 GS video card, XP Pro (32bit) and an Antec 500 watt PSU
(80 plus). Yes, it was considered a frugal-cheap purchase when all this hardware was considered new in 2007. :D

The Plan/Pipe dream
- To take advantage of the 64 bit capabilities of my soon to arrive OS and set up a VT powerhouse
and still run my old XP setup within Win 7 Pro's "XP mode" or VMware (or something VT related). Perhaps even run my XP
installed games that would utilize a Quad+ CPU and the Graphics card. (Do I even have a firm grasp on how Hardware VT
works?) :pt1cable:
http://www.asisupport.com/intel_vt_nl_12-05.htm

So I reread my P5e manual and initially planned on getting the best Quad Core with Hardware VT enabled on the chip,
and then 8 gig of ram that would enable the P5E's Dual-Channel DDR2 1066 capabilities. Which means a CPU with a FSB of
1333 or 1600 (perhaps). (only a few 1600 quads were on the vendors list. Not sure if any even have Hardware VT)
And then purchase a REAL Power supply !!
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=cPrufUGXUlY9OsYv

Well after pouring over hours of articles about my P5E and other options (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition system,
i7s, i5s, Bulldozer's release date. etc ) I decided that an i7-2600K CPU System might be the best choice for my
Plan/Pipedream. Until I read the news about the buggy chip. :pfff: So I am back to where I started.....
So I am trying to keep this project under $800 even If I have to buy things piecemeal or build a system from the ground up.
Any suggestions, System builds, proper upgrade paths, recommends regarding VT software/Hardware.

In fact any ray of hope would be helpful.

Looking forward to hearing from anybody.
wayne_hdk

The P67 1155 mobo's had a silicone problem which might have affected some of the boards RE SATA II controllers after 5+ years. The "fixed boards" will be back on the market in early April from what the rumors say. I would def. wait until then. The 2600K is king of the hill atm.

It was the silicone on the P67 mobo SATA II controllers. Intel found the flaw and recalled those boards. AMD has made plenty of mistakes including selling flawed cpu's to third world country's and coming up with a "tri core cpu" when they fourth core was faulty. Fact of the matter remains is that the Sandy Bridge is way out in front of the competition and those 1155 boards will be compatible with the newer Ivy Bridge 22mm cpu's when they come out. Not only that but there's talk of those Ivy Bridge cpu's hitting 6.0 on the o/c. When AMD comes close to that I might go back to using them. Until then...