cjkeithl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I just purchased a corsair h50 to replace my cooler master hyper tx3. The hyper keeps my Phenom iix4 970 stock @ 3.5ghz, but at full speed it's really annoying, and i'm all about low noise. My case has a 120mm intake fan in the front and on the side, and a 120mm exhaust fan on the back. I like it because it pulls cool air through the front over the hard drive into the the hypertx and out the back, and the side is good for keeping my gpu cool. My psu is mounted at the top and the fan points down, which works because it just goes down and gets sucked out the back. My question is whether is should use the h50 as intake or exhaust. If I do intake as corsair suggests, there will be no exhaust in the case whatsoever. If I do it as exhaust my only problem is that the air from the psu will blow down and get sucked through the radiator, and theoretically heating it up. Overall, that seems like my only problem really. If cold air is coming in from the front and side it should get sucked out the back and cool the radiator and the heat from the psu would seem insignificant. I'm sure I've just answered my question, and this has been a topic probably discussed a thousand times, but could someone give me some legit feedback? I'm planning on using two fans on the h50 so it would look like <II< THought about getting the zalman cnps9900 but heard this cooler outperforms it easily.

sofyanator

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
your h50 should just be on exahaust. You dont want hot air blowing back into your case as it makes no sense to work against the principles of airflow and dissepation. Trust me at 3.5 ghz the h50 with 2 fans can handle the extra heat from a psu and will keep your case, cpu, psu, and other components very cool. Its all a matter of perspective opionion and preference but if you dont find your solution or my solution satisfying you can always purchase a custom loop liquid cooling kit for around 100+ dollars and have the radiator a foot away from your pc which would would solve your problem but would be relativly unorthadox as it would add on another 60 dollars or so to an h50. The best advice i can realy give you is play around with it and see which positions suit you the best with sound and heat dissepation in mind, good luck!

The H50 works best when used as intake, cool fresh air over the rad instead of the already warmed case air.
What case do you have ?
Mounting in the drive bays has given me the best performance from the H50.
These are reverse ATX cases, the same can be done in an ATX case

PS; The psu fan draws air into the psu from inside the case and exhausts it out the back.