Problems with new desktop

Fleabitten

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I recently have gotten a new desktop computer. Because of its location, it was more practical to buy a wireless adapter for it. The way my house is set up now is like this:

Desktop (wired, Vista), Laptop (wireless, Vista), and New Desktop (wireless, Windows 7).

My problem has gone like this: as soon as I set up the drivers for my wireless adapter on my new desktop, the wireless to that connection cannot be connected to by either my laptop OR new desktop. On the new desktop, it can sometimes grab the connection, and it will look fine, but as soon as I try to do something that actually uses the internet, such as go to Google or log into AIM, it will fail and the connection will drop to no internet availability.

I've done some of the things suggested in this thread, including disabling Homegroup, making sure my router's firmware was up to date, disabling the option for my computer to turn off my adapter to save power, and turning off IPv6 options, but none of these have done the trick. It'd be one thing if only the wireless on that computer was wonky, but to mess with my laptop's wireless connection is another thing altogether :pfff:

Anything else I can try?

G

Sounds like an IP address clash. Don't use a fixed IP address.

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Fleabitten

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thank for your quick reply; unfortunately this doesn't help, because both my new desktop and laptop already were configured that way.

A new development, though: My laptop and new desktop CAN connect to the same wireless network... just not mine. Also, my wireless network stopped showing up in the connections list of both devices... is it that I should get a new router?

G

Check the router by connecting to it by wire instead of wireless. If the problem goes away than it's usually a wireless issue.

If so, check settings in the router, perhaps reset it, but make sure wireless is on, is in correct mode, SSID is being broadcast, that Access List (filter by MAC ID) is disabled. Also turn off wireless security while testing.