Having Core i5 NON K Hould I buy a 2500K or a 2600K

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hi guys

Recently I was Ordering My Rig on SuperBiiz and Me being the careless Idiot i am, i have by Mistake ordered the NON K Core i5 2500....Only to realize what happened when trying to overclock so this is My Problem...
the Non K has been ok for now @ 3.8 plays everything Fine

ive been reading online Can you Kindly give me your opinion on whether I should buy a new 2500K \ 2600K or Stick with the Non k I have and Use the Money to get another HD6950 to crossfire

Thanks In advance !!!!!

Solution
Well... another HD 6950 would be much more of an improvement in terms of gaming performance, and I'm pretty sure that Core i5 2500 won't bottleneck the HD 6950 CF setup. If you need to render video or are intending to use some CPU-intensive applications where graphics don't really matter but a faster CPU does, then I'd go for the i5 2500K (I personally don't think that ~$100 is worth the upgrade to the i7 2600K).
Well... another HD 6950 would be much more of an improvement in terms of gaming performance, and I'm pretty sure that Core i5 2500 won't bottleneck the HD 6950 CF setup. If you need to render video or are intending to use some CPU-intensive applications where graphics don't really matter but a faster CPU does, then I'd go for the i5 2500K (I personally don't think that ~$100 is worth the upgrade to the i7 2600K).

Solution
I agree with both Lmeow & jaguar but 2 x 6950s is overkill unless you are running 3 monitors. Most games support crossfire or if thats not really the right word they benefit from it. An SSD gives you a huge boost to loading times but on a gaming setup not much else. I suggest save the cash for an upgrade in a year or 2.

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I agree with both Lmeow & jaguar but 2 x 6950s is overkill unless you are running 3 monitors. Most games support crossfire or if thats not really the right word they benefit from it. An SSD gives you a huge boost to loading times but on a gaming setup not much else. I suggest save the cash for an upgrade in a year or 2.

Well Then That Settles it..gonna Get a 64GB SSD and Be done with it Thanks guys...I was really upset cause of this Whole NON k Mix up...thinking arrrrrghhhh I cud have had more...
But I see Clearly now lol

Thanks Again Me m8s

On the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ non “K” processors mostly you will find that the most that you can get out of them if you try to overclock is 4 bins. The Intel Core I5-2500K can be overclocked a great deal more. I have to agree that upgrading to an SSD will be the best performance investment that you can make at this time. Picking up an SSD like the Intel SSD 320 80GB can give you boot times around 20 seconds and lower access times for any program located on the drive.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

Thanks Bro..one more thing I know this is outta Topic Will the next Ivy bridge support the Same Mobo I have....I have an ASROCk P67 Extream 6 Mobo..I read some where that it will support P67 Just wanted to clarify