Sign in with
Your question

Performance loss. What is causing it?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2011 6:28:22 AM

The CPU and GPU's fan was full of dust. So I decided to do a little cleaning.

I removed the CPU fan for the first time. At first I didn't know how to get it off and I may have used unnecessary force.
After the cleaning, when I turned it on the computer was shutting down.
Then I noticed that the CPU fan was not completely attached. Had some trouble figuring out how to properly connect it.

Now there's major performance loss in games. CoD4 from 200 - 250 fps to 40 - 100 fps. Oblivion's showing more lag..

How can I make sure what is causing the performance loss? Did I damage the CPU or the Video card?

More about : performance loss causing

a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 6:33:43 AM

On the cpu, did you remove the old and applied new thermal paste ?
Can be that your system is throttling the cpu because of heating.
May 12, 2011 6:47:10 AM

I just removed it's fan and cleaned it out. Didn't apply any paste.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:01:03 AM

ok so the heat sink itselfe was not removed apart from trying to get the fan off ?
Can be in that process that the sink has moved slightly, in that case i would still recommend to remove the sink and old thermal paste and re-apply thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:02:00 AM

oh btw, what you can also do it run speedfan for a short while and see if there is excessive heat production.
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:28:32 AM

There's your problem then. The CPU is now overheating, which causes it to throttle down to protect itself from damage. Get some thermal paste asap.
EDIT: OK wait, you didn't actually remove the CPU itself? In that case the fan may not be mounted properly.
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:36:22 AM

Herr_Koos said:
There's your problem then. The CPU is now overheating, which causes it to throttle down to protect itself from damage. Get some thermal paste asap.
EDIT: OK wait, you didn't actually remove the CPU itself? In that case the fan may not be mounted properly.

I sense a slight echo there ;) 
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 8:24:15 AM

I noticed that yes.. Didn't mean to copy you, I think we were typing our replies at the same time.
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 8:29:21 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I noticed that yes.. Didn't mean to copy you, I think we were typing our replies at the same time.

Lol, np m8.
Better to have said things twice then not at all ;) 
May 12, 2011 11:13:47 AM

Played cod4 for a while and the PC turned off again.
Alright then, gotta get that paste.

Is anyone with limited knowledge about computer's hardware able to apply thermal paste?
I'm not gonna get it today. Should I not use the PC until I apply thermal paste?

May 12, 2011 11:18:28 AM

Just checked the temp of the cpu. It's 90 C :o 
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 11:26:02 AM

Yup definitely your cpu is throttling.
Go to a local hardwareshop and ask for arctic silver thermal compound.
Remove youre heatsink from your cpu and clean off any old thermal past from both cpu and heatsink.
Apply 4 small dots on the 4 corners (not complete outer corners) and a slightly larger dot in the center of the cpu.
Be sure it's enough so that if pressure is applied it will cover the whole cpu but not over do it so it will smear out all over the place.
After that re-apply your heatsink and check if no excessive thermal paste comes out between.
Fire up your rig again and check the temperature's once more, they should have settled nicely after this.

Let us know what the outcome is :) 
May 12, 2011 11:39:34 AM

Thank you guys!
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 12:07:04 PM

riniks92 said:
Just checked the temp of the cpu. It's 90 C :o 

There you go then. Don't switch it on again until you've applied that paste!
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:56:49 PM

Quote:
by small dots he mean like 3-5 grains of sugar per dot avoid putting on too much, as that can be bad too.

What he said :) 
May 25, 2011 10:51:16 AM

It worked! Thanks!
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:08:02 AM

Awesome, glad to hear.
!