Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 2:44:58 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, since it's given me absolutely nothing but trouble. Running 64 bit Windows Vista, currently have an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT.

I need it to run NBA 2k11, for which I need shader model 3.0 support with 512 MB of RAM, and would like to actually get video in Adobe Encore's monitor, which I haven't been able to get with my current card (at least without using even less stable drivers than I already have).

I've detailed my various problems at more length here, though I'm not sure updating the drivers was actually the problem, as running NBA 2k11 caused the dots to reappear on the screen. I've also had the red overlay occur on bootup after running NBA 2k11 (which periodically crashes).

I've had some success updating drivers to get video to display in Adobe Encore's monitor, so I know that's the graphics card, but those same drivers periodically stop responding, leaving me with a black screen for several seconds. I do not have this issue with the current drivers, but am devoid of the ability to properly edit DVDs in Encore.

Suggestions?

More about : upgrade graphics card

December 12, 2010 11:56:45 PM

gracefully said:
How much are you willing to spend?

No idea. As little as possible to get the job done, I guess. I don't know very much about this.

Quote:
Do you prefer AMD or nVidia?

Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? The 'display driver stopped responding and has recovered' issue seems to be something that occurs with nVidia cards in Vista - is it also an issue with AMD? Has it been resolved with newer cards?

Quote:
Here is the "Best Graphics Card for the Money: November 2010" article of TH. It should give you a good idea of what you can get.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-rad...

Not really a gamer, so I don't really need anything ridiculous. NBA 2k11 (and perhaps 2k12 and so on) is the only game I really see myself playing on my PC. Other than that, I really only play the Madden and SmackDown! vs RAW games, which aren't available on PC. Even if they were, I don't imagine they'd be all that taxing graphically. I didn't get this computer built with gaming in mind.

All I want is the 'display driver stopped responding and has recovered' error to go away, video to display in the Adobe Encore monitor, and NBA 2k11 not to turn into a waste of money. Anything beyond that is really not all that necessary, as far as I can see at this point (though not being all that knowledgeable on the subject, I may be missing something).
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 12:08:17 AM

get a 5670 or a 5750.

$89 and $109, respectively.

Getting a more powerful card doesn't necessarily mean you are "wasting" your money. It means you will be more secure for the future for when the new games that you want to play come out, and you won't see any drop in performance.
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:27:52 AM

amk09 said:
get a 5670 or a 5750.

$89 and $109, respectively.

What's the difference for that twenty bucks?

Quote:
Getting a more powerful card doesn't necessarily mean you are "wasting" your money. It means you will be more secure for the future for when the new games that you want to play come out, and you won't see any drop in performance.

Sure, but as I said I'm really not a gamer. I get a couple of sports games each year, and that's really it, so I don't really see that as a worthwhile investment. Obviously there's some benefit to be had from getting a card that will last, so I'm not going to blindly restrict myself to exactly what I currently need, but there's no point being ready for games I'm never going to play.
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:55:19 AM

Emperus said:
Your current card supports shader model 3.0 and higher.. Are you running the latest drivers.? For a new video card, i'll recommend getting -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm aware of that. It causes a whole host of issues, though - video doesn't show up in the Encore monitor unless I update the drivers, at which point the drivers periodically stop responding, and I've also had issues with artifacts on the screen at times. I'm looking to get a card that will still play NBA 2k11, but without all those other problems.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 2:48:30 AM

According to your blog post, you said you download drivers from Windows Update. Try downloading drivers from www.nvidia.com instead and see if that changes anything. In my opinion, the 9500GT is a worthy card, and doesn't need replacing for your purposes.
December 13, 2010 2:59:40 AM

I tried that as well, it didn't change a thing. I'll give it another shot, though, because it has been a while.
m
l
December 13, 2010 9:16:34 AM

Hmm. Seems to have fixed the problem. 200th time's the charm, I guess.
m
l
December 13, 2010 9:17:02 AM

Best answer selected by koberulz.
m
l
!