1366 or 1155 kinda confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prizner

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Could someone clear this up for me please. Building yet another computer and this one is my dream however i want to make smart decisions money wise and future proof a little bit. So here goes I was planning on running an asus rampage III extreme with a I-7 990x processor and either 2 6990 or 590's (can't decide yet). So here is my problem I know that for what i will use it for (i.e. gaming, Photoshop and encoding) it will be great however when you take in to account all of that plus the big power supply ram case to keep it all cool and all the other stuff it's gonna cost a pretty penny. Then i see the i7-2600k over here running like a champ and in some tests preforming like the I-7 980's ( which respectively aren't that much slower than 990x). the thing is the 1155 boards only support 8x channels and from what I see wouldn't support the 2 cards I want. where as the x58 boards will support 16x lanes x2. So I guess I am just making sure I am not blowing money out the window on a system that had I built or found an alt would perform just as good at a fraction of the cost. So any info on the 1155 vs the 1366 in the conditions I listed above would be helpful and as always thanks again guys.

Solution
I would not select X58 for a new PC right now, to be honest. Sure, the 990X is blazingly quick, but completely overpriced. What makes it worse it that there will probably not be any new chips on 1366. Intel have moved on, and for the foreseeable future, Sandy Bridge is the smart choice. As you stated, the 2600k will keep up with the top-end i7-9XX chips.

A note on your choice of graphics: There isn't a processor in the world that can effectively keep up with two 6990's or 590's right now, so I would seriously consider only a single one of each, or if you are dead-set on an SLI/Crossfire setup, use two cheaper cards. Two 6970's will easily perform the same as a single 6990, and for cheaper too.
I would not select X58 for a new PC right now, to be honest. Sure, the 990X is blazingly quick, but completely overpriced. What makes it worse it that there will probably not be any new chips on 1366. Intel have moved on, and for the foreseeable future, Sandy Bridge is the smart choice. As you stated, the 2600k will keep up with the top-end i7-9XX chips.

A note on your choice of graphics: There isn't a processor in the world that can effectively keep up with two 6990's or 590's right now, so I would seriously consider only a single one of each, or if you are dead-set on an SLI/Crossfire setup, use two cheaper cards. Two 6970's will easily perform the same as a single 6990, and for cheaper too.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.