Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth spending more on getting a 17 2600(k) then a i5 2500(k)

Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2011 7:46:22 AM

hi, im building a desktop mostly for gaming but dont want to spend a fortune on it. this is the first desktop i will have built so i dont know much
i have been told there is no point getting an i7 because there is no need for that much processing power and it will get outdated almost just as fast as an i5. but i dont beleive that and would probably prefer to get an i7 just to know i have the processing power if needed.
Am i right or wrong?
im probably going to be getting a geforce gts 250 and p67 motherboard

thanks for any replys :) 
May 12, 2011 7:57:30 AM

Why are you going to get a GTS 250? That is extremely low end and outdated. Its not great for gaming.

However your other choice of the 2500K is great. My friend easily overclocked his to 4.5 and it destroys my CPU in everything.

You don't need a 2600K especially if all you are doing is gaming.
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:10:46 AM

The 2600k is basically only worth it for higher end editing software. (Be it video, photo, music, whatever) and the like.

Basically things related to content production. Consumption activities such as gaming etc don't really show any benefit. Now this it being VERY general, but the short version is games don't benefit from hyperthreading, and have occasionally shown negative impact depending on how windows assigns the various threads.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 8:26:07 AM

Helltech said:
Why are you going to get a GTS 250? That is extremely low end and outdated. Its not great for gaming.

However your other choice of the 2500K is great. My friend easily overclocked his to 4.5 and it destroys my CPU in everything.

You don't need a 2600K especially if all you are doing is gaming.

Im getting this because i used this website http://uk.geforce.com/optimise/optimal-game-settings to check its FPS and it offers the best compared to others at the same price
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:27:26 AM

and i have also heard that overclocking is bad for the CPU and will wear it out faster(the warranty also dies as soon as u overclock it)
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:30:10 AM

Where are you getting this card? What is the "price" you are refering too. I can promise thre are better cards around that price range. By saving 100 dollars getting the 2500K you can use that towards a GPU that is actually... good.

Trust me you won't be happy with that card. Its old, its outdated, and it doesn't keep up with todays needs.

Yes overclocking a CPU destroys the warranty (in most circumstances), but a slight overclock is not going to kill your CPU faster in regardes to how it ages. What I mean is.. by the time the CPU will die in EITHER circumstance (overclocked or stock) it will be outdated and it will be way past time for an upgraded anyway. Unless you are overclocking it to competetion standards but thats another story. We are talking about a modest overclock here, nothing gigantic.

I've had my CPU overclocked about 1.4Ghz more than it comes for well over 2 years now with my computer running 24/7, and its still kicking strong.

Heck my GTX 260 destroys a GTS 250 by a large margin, and I know for a fact I couldn't live with just one of them. It wasn't giving me enough performance I had to get another.... and at this point they are starting to not give me enough performance together.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2011 8:35:36 AM

The warranty dies when they can prove the cpu has been OC'd.
Of course if you go beyond spec's (like everything) you will wear it out faster.
But as long as you see to it that and OC'd cpu does not suffer of too much heat, it shouldn't cause that much problems or lost life.
Just stay within acceptable thermal specs and there should not be any major issues.
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:37:25 AM

i live in nz so thats about $200 nzd,
tbh i dont know a lot about gpu so i guess ur right.
i guess so... but would i need to get a expensive fan to stop it from overheating and burning out?
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:41:24 AM

and according to the geforce site, the gts 250 beats the gtx 260 in fps while running bad company 2...
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:42:01 AM

You would need to get one, yeah, but an expensive one, no.

Where are you getting the parts from there? Can you give me a website that you use to buy or at least look at parts? I can try and find something for you.

What resolution is your monitor? That makes a big difference in finding the correct graphics card.

Regardless I would get a card with DX11, so an HD 5000, or 6000 series card from AMD, or a 400 or 500 series from Nvidia.

With the money you were planning on spending on the 2600K, you can instead get a better card.

And about the GTS 250 beaitng the GTX 260. That is either an error, a fluke, a misbenchmark, or a driver problem when the benchmarks were ran or a mistake reading it on your part.

Here are trust worthy benchmarks.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Galaxy/GeForce_GTS_2...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-250,217...

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/502403-...

Regardless, you don't want an old 200 series card, be it the GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 280 or even GTX 295!
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:43:46 AM

ignore that last comment... it was on different screen resolutions
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:45:30 AM

Ahh lol, thought so, I was going to say. Well I edited my last post to reflect that, so you should read it.
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:49:32 AM

or u can check pbtech.co.nz thats our main computer store here
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:54:41 AM

Ok I will look, lastly I need to know how much you were looking to spend (if you get the 2500k instead.. how much do you have?)

Finally, that case has enough fans to start with.

By the way, for a cooler. This is a decent low cost cooling solution over here.

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=FANCLM0212&name=COO...

I couldn't find much else that wasn't super over priced (but that Corsair H70 is great).

But yeah, I need to know how much you're looking to spend on a video card so I can help you out more.
m
l
May 12, 2011 8:59:51 AM

anywhere from 1100-1300 but willing to put that up slightly if it will make much difference
so it wouldnt be a good idea to overclock without buying another fan(s) though?
m
l
May 12, 2011 9:09:43 AM

lol no, i thought u meant for the whole desktop, ummmmm wasnt really planning on spending that much over 300 but if it will make much of a difference then i guess its best to
m
l
May 12, 2011 9:11:31 AM

lpiotoole said:
lol no, i thought u meant for the whole desktop, ummmmm wasnt really planning on spending that much over 300 but if it will make much of a difference then i guess its best to

Haha no! You don't need something that good (especially when comparing it to a GTS 250). Plus you said you are playing on a small HD TV, which is more than likely 720p. You don't need anything near as good as what I showed, I was just saying.

How much do you want to spend on the graphics card? Like 250 then?
m
l
May 12, 2011 9:28:35 AM
May 12, 2011 9:34:50 AM

What I would do is post all those links in the "New System Build" section of the forums. Over here;

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

You will get more help there.

Personally I do see a few things I would change out and I'll let you know what they are when I browse around for ya.

Like you deffinitly need a different PSU.

m
l
May 12, 2011 9:41:04 AM

ok, just posted it now

again thanks for all your help :) 
m
l
!