• AMD
  • Processors
  • Phenom
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 12, 2011 9:48:38 AM

Hello,
Hello,
im updating my processor and am told i need to update my bios before hand... how do i go about updating my bios.
current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

new processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 840...

please help

More about : update bios amd phenom

May 12, 2011 9:52:58 AM

First off, what brand / type of mainboard do you have ?
If you do not know there is a simple program wich you can run to see what type you have, for that go here:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Go a little bit down on that page and download the free SIW without installer version.
Run it and from the left pane go to the section hardware and click on motherboard.
m
l
May 12, 2011 10:16:37 AM

You can also download CPU-z and use that to identify your motherboard and bios version as well as cpu type, ram type etc or just pay attention during POST.

Once you have the information, go to the manufacturers website and download the BIOS. Since it sounds like you have an AM2 mobo, that is a bit older and you might not find a GUI based BIOS update so you will need to follow the manufacturers instructions to create a bootable BIOS update disc.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 4:26:04 PM

Yeah if your board supports that processor, a bios update will work. If it doesn't support that processor a bios update won't help.

Make sure your board supports the cpu before buying it.
m
l
a b À AMD
May 12, 2011 5:01:21 PM

If you given us the mobo model that you have, we maybe can help you with your answer.
m
l