What UPS should i buy

nxym

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Im experiencing frequent power outages and I want to buy a UPS to solve the power outage problem. But I dont know *** about it. I have a 500W PSU and i want to connect the CPU only. Heres the UPS im considering since it has a low price where im living

Here is my specs

core 2 quad q8400 3.6ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
hd5850 1gb
dvd-ram
320gb 3.5" hdd
acer eg42m mobo

Power Tree S650B 650VA

Battery Size | 9 Ah
Output Voltage | 200 V (+/- 10%)
Output Freq | 50 Hz
Load Backup | > 30 minutes
Short Circuit | Fuse + current limited + cut off
Transfer Time | 2 ms
Other Functions | Surge & noise protection,
hot swappable battery

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
650VA rating will handle you computer just fine, however I wouldn't expect 30 minutes of backup time.
I'm not familiar with that brand and personally stick with larger brands such as APC. I also like to put a surge suppressor in front of the UPS as an extra layer of protection.
I hope this helps

Sean
Jantech Services
www.JantechUPS.com

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Computers rarely consume more than 200 watts. And never more than 300. The reason for so many clone computers with massively larger supplies are computer assemblers who oversize it rather than learn what current is required for each DC voltage.

A UPS has a 3 year life expectancy. Its battery degrades quickly because a UPS is designed as cheaply as possible. So that a battery can provide sufficient power 3 years later, get a UPS that is much larger. For a computer that never consumes more than 300 watts, a 500 watt UPS would be a minimal size. Then it will provide enough power even three years later.

A UPS is to provide temporary and dirty power long enough so that unsaved data can be saved.