Starting Up New Build for the 1st time?

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
The story is...This is my very 1st Build

So I started my computer without hooking up the speaker connector from the case (because it didn't match the Asus mpbo pins! everything starts fine......BUT, here is the problem, It shows the Asus bios screen (when I am holding down the DELET key like the manual says) and it goes from the Asus screen to another screen asking me to press enter to boot from a CD? as I have the asus driver in the Deck, I press enter then it is a black screen and says ---welcom to Asus motherboard make a DOS menu?

Did I miss the Bios screen somehow?

I did this a couple times without getting to bios....

I read the manual 5 times and now I have a 2nd question Do I need to put a IDE HD in instead on the SATA I have in there first, Because the Asus manual I can't run a Sata HD before installing windows SP2?

Solution
85C????

Double check your heatsink ASAP, that is wayyyy too hot for a CPU even if it were heavily OCed and under full load, when you are checking it in BIOS it should be in the 30s or 40s at most.

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

(Every time I turn the computer on it will show the Asus Bios start screen then it will go to another screen and say " install propper boot device"

Dont hold down the delete key, because the system generally only registers down and up, i dont think BIOS checks for holding, i suggest pushing the power button and tapping on it real fast, by the time you get to the splash screen its probably too far.

Once you get into bios you should be able to set your boot order, put your OS disk in the drive and set that to boot first, once you have your OS installed then you can boot to the HDD first.

What it means by you cant run a SATA HDD before installing Windows XP SP2 is that no prior version of windows had drivers for SATA HDDs on the install disk by default, because SATA didnt really exist before then.

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for the little Tid Bit about XP, I was kinda confused about that (being new at this in all)

I finally got into the Bios, I was holding the DELET key down to early and it wasn't picking it up.....I turned the computer on and waited about 5 sec till I seen a shuffle in the screen then I held the DELET key down.........Presto!!!

--CPU is chilling at 85*c

--The booting order is perfect with my WD160 in 1st place

And tomorrow I will be getting the Win 7 OS installed...............

This is my first build and I'm stoked!

Thank you

Asus H55
i3 550 clarks dale
ripjaw ddr3 1600 4g
Bio freez CPU cooler
Blu Ray and DvD player
550 modular PSU
Antec six hundred case

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
You guys are awsome, It's all because of people on here that inspired me to built this computer in the 1st place! and I'm glad I did...

I'm going to get the OS and Word from a friend in a bit, I will try and post a Pic, but im not quit sure how to do that yet...

Thank you

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
so why do they make it so difficult to download a pic on this site? I was playing around with photobucket foran hr now....and I can't figure out how to download a pic to save my life...................

MudDog781

Sometimes the BB Code takes some finesse, i believe this is what you were hoping for
DSCN0218.jpg

photobucket has strange URLs so you need to click the IMG code option and it will copy the appropriate code for you then just paste it in here, or just post a link rather than trying to fight with the image.

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks......

Well anyways that was a pic before I cleaned up the wires and installed the OS.....I was to excited to take another one lol

I have another question! I played a DvD (not a blu ray, because It didn't come with software) And the picture wasn't all that great! so I started thinking I might need a video card with some resolution power? I was thinking EVGA GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 2.0 x16 $116

what do you think?

Try the DVD in a regular DVD player and see if it looks any better. It might not be the best quality to begin with.

Also, what size is your monitor? DVDs are relatively low resolution so if you put it on a 22" at 1920x1080 is not going to look nearly as good as if you had it on a TV and were sitting much farther away.

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I have a 46" lcd tv hooked up to it right now.....I played the dvd in an oppo dvd player and it looks great! thats why I was thinking a video card will make it perform better because it looks shacky and blotchy right now.

What about the evga cards?...those have really good ratings

YoungBuck

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I the windows update and the DVD player works great, but the blu ray does not work....windows uses windows media player to try and play the BD

So I was digging into this whole blu-ray situation and I found you need 3rd party software for these blu ray drives to work!

The good news is I found PowerDvd 10 to be ahead of the pack as far as solid software program also found it for $50 on e-bay (normally cost’s $100)
Now I’m in the thick of this build and 1 step closer to a solid entertainment tower!!!!!!!!!!!!