Sign in with
Your question

I2500k Running Too Hot?

Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2011 1:50:29 PM

Hey all, I just built a new PC using the i2500K and when I run the Prime95 Blend Test, my temps shoot up to the 90s Celsius almost right away. I am using the stock heat sink fan and I didn't apply any extra thermal paste because it appeared to be pre-applied. Should I have applied paste or could I possible have done something else wrong? This is my first build so I could very well have overlooked something simple. Thanks.

My system:
CPU- i5-2500k @3.30 GHz
MB- MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
GPU- Sapphire 100312-1GS HD6950 1GB
RAM- 4GBx2 Gskill
PSU- Rosewill RG630-S12 630W

More about : i2500k running hot

May 12, 2011 2:05:42 PM

Hi killbomb, what are your idle temps, and how long have you been running your PC since you finished assembly.

A couple of things to mention about stock heatsinks/thermal paste and especially the i5 2500k series (or the Sandybridge for that matter).

- There seems to be a lot of people having difficulty making sure the heatsink is firmly clamped down and secure. (I will admit with my recent i3 2100 build I had to go back and make sure my heatsink was properly clamped down when I was getting high temps and it turned out it wasn't). I would go back and just make sure it is in fact secure and all the pins and properly installed.

- The stock thermal paste on the new Sandy Bridge chips take awhile to cure which is why I asked how long you have been running your PC. I recently did a 2500k build and my temps were originally high, but after leaving my computer running for about 6-8 hours the temps dropped by about 15 degrees.

- Admittedly, the stock heatsink won't perform that great especially compared to aftermarket ones, especially if you are at 100% load or in your Prime95 tests. You didn't mention whether you had done any OC'ing but I'm assuming not at this point. The stock heatsink would not be recommended for any of that.

So I would suggest going back and just making sure the heatsink is installed properly and is secure. As well if your idle temps are somewhere around the 40's that is standard for the i5 2500k with a stock heatsink. As well, if you have not been running your PC for that long since assembly, I would suggest just leaving it on for awhile to give the thermal paste time to cure.

If you are still facing problems, please answer some of the questions and we can try and take it from there. Thanks!
m
l
May 12, 2011 2:19:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. My idle temps at the moment are in the mid to upper 40s using CoreTemp. It's only been running 90 minutes to 2 hours since I finished the build (worked late and was excited so I stayed up all night building it). No overclocking yet. I'm going to see how games run at the stock settings before considering that.

I think I will let it run while I sleep then check the temps again. I am fairly positive I clamped the heatsink on there tight but I will check that again if the temps aren't better when I wake up. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2011 12:04:22 AM

Ok, went back and pressed down on the HSF hooks to make sure they were secure and if they weren't, they are now. Booted the PC, ran WEI and the temps were back up in the 90s with barely any load on the CPU. The temps didn't alter much even as the CPU load neared 100% though. Anyway, should I just let the PC run idle for a day or so to let the paste cure or could something else be wrong with temps going that high, that fast?

EDIT: Checked the HSF pushpins on the other side of the mobo and they all weren't fully secured. After securing them I now get idle temps that drop into the 30s but when trying to run Prime95 again, they still shoot back up into the 90s quickly. Probably just invest in an aftermarket cooler. Any suggestions based on my case... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and the PSU in the OP?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 1:26:20 AM

Buying an i5 2500K and even considering overclocking it (or stock for that matter) pretty much mandates buying a 3rd party cooler. Intel HSFs are crap. I toss them immediately in the trash when I buy a new CPU

A $30 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ would be much better. It will get your over 4 ghz easy with good temps
m
l
May 13, 2011 1:52:53 AM

Thanks for the tip. Probably go pick up the Hyper 212+ from Micro Center this weekend. Just hope that monster will fit in my case! :D  How far do you think I could safely overclock with my 630w PSU?
m
l
May 13, 2011 2:02:14 AM

Hitting 90c means your fan or something is not working. No way an OEM cooler would run that hot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 2:48:43 AM

Concur, while the Stock HSF is crap, your temp runing wei should not go to 90 C. At stock speed Prime 95 will push it up to mid 70's to low 80's probably - but should not go to 90. Stock only good for low OC.

That said - Myself, I do the same as bearclaw99. When I order a MB/CP I also order a 3rd party HSF. I leave the Intel HSF in the box to weight it down.

Ordered the Zalman 9900Max and have had it for a couple of weeks (Newegg had it on sale for $65). Have a corsar 650W PSU in the closet (Still in the box). My I5-2500K and MB should be here Monday. Need to get a new SSD and a GPU, but no rush as I can use what I have laying around to check it out.

The Hyper 212+ is a great HSF in terms of cost/performance. Its good for moderate -> high OC. If you plan on pushing it, I'd recommend a higher performance HSF. Also the Thermo coumpond must be applied correcty (It is NOT the same as a solid based HSF), there are some excellent video on that, just google it.

From frosy (my 9900 is highlited, but list is very inclusive.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=256...
From Guru (hyper 212+)
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-p...
m
l
May 13, 2011 4:10:41 AM

Kewlx25 said:
Hitting 90c means your fan or something is not working. No way an OEM cooler would run that hot.

Yeah, something is up. Have you made sure the CPU cooler fan is working? Is your temp monitor working correctly? Like, it's not set to Fahrenheit or something is it? :p  90 is way too hot. Regardless, a good aftermarket CPU cooler is a sensible investment. :) 
m
l
May 14, 2011 6:42:47 AM

The fan is spinning so I assume it is working. :D  Could something else be causing it to run hot besides a faulty/not properly installed fan? Anyway, probably going to get the Hyper 212 as long as it will fit in my case. Need to measure tomorrow before I head out. Any ideas how far I could overclock using that fan?
m
l
May 14, 2011 6:51:52 AM

Killbomb said:
Hey all, I just built a new PC using the i2500K and when I run the Prime95 Blend Test, my temps shoot up to the 90s Celsius almost right away. I am using the stock heat sink fan and I didn't apply any extra thermal paste because it appeared to be pre-applied. Should I have applied paste or could I possible have done something else wrong? This is my first build so I could very well have overlooked something simple. Thanks.

My system:
CPU- i5-2500k @3.30 GHz
MB- MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
GPU- Sapphire 100312-1GS HD6950 1GB
RAM- 4GBx2 Gskill
PSU- Rosewill RG630-S12 630W

Have you checked for temps in the BIOS or are these coming from the program running.

I would definitely take the fan/heatsink off, clean off the thermal paste currently on the cpu and reapply a higher quality artic silver or some other good-quality thermal paste. Then either try the same heatsink/fan again or buy a better one. What speeds are showing for the fan in the bios? Maybe the voltages on the cpu fan pins is not up to snuff.

You definitely don't want to run at 90 degrees C. Way too hot.
m
l
May 14, 2011 7:16:42 AM

No, choose an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.
On my friend's PC, we bought them both and tried them on an Intel I5-2500K,
Idle Load Gaming Load
Arctic Cooling 28C 36C 40C
Coolermaster 28C 37C 43C
Arctic Cooling heatsinks are designed in Austria and Switzerland, so I'm sure that thay know a thing or two about cooling.
m
l
May 14, 2011 7:33:01 AM

kfitzenreiter said:
Have you checked for temps in the BIOS or are these coming from the program running.

I would definitely take the fan/heatsink off, clean off the thermal paste currently on the cpu and reapply a higher quality artic silver or some other good-quality thermal paste. Then either try the same heatsink/fan again or buy a better one. What speeds are showing for the fan in the bios? Maybe the voltages on the cpu fan pins is not up to snuff.

You definitely don't want to run at 90 degrees C. Way too hot.

Just checked the CPU fan speed and temp in the bios and the fan was running at 2074 RPM and the temp got up to 80C before I exited. CoreTemp is reporting idle temps in the upper 30s to mid 40s now. Ran WEI again a little while ago and the temp went up to almost 90 at the highest CPU load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 1:43:39 PM

Me - I'd quit testing untill you replace that Intel HSF - something is wrong.
I've seen *** number of post's using the stock HSF and hitting 60 C in bios, but getting lower once windows has loaded. 80 C - NO, you need to correct and at this point I'd just wait on the new HSF.

About the only thing that would NOT require replacing the HSF - You are either using too much, or too little, thermo compound - Very few use too little, most use too much.
For *** "flat bottom" sink you only use an amount the size of gain of rice and I use *** latex glove and smear it. If you have removed your HSF, You did replace the thermo compound. This is *** Must if after powering up and removing/re-installing *** HSF.

Other causes.
(1) the push-pins are, have become, defective and are not placing the proper tension holding the Base to Cpu.
(2) less probable - the Stock HS base is concave, or convex, which means the surface area is reduced and the thermo coumpond will be to thick in areas. This could also apply to the top of the CPU. To check for this condition use *** razor blade to verify surface is flat.

Note: If you do get the Hyper 212+, The HSF Thermo coumpound application is different than *** "Flat" bottomed HS and MUST be follow. You can google the installation
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 7:18:25 PM

Flightsimluke said:
No, choose an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.
On my friend's PC, we bought them both and tried them on an Intel I5-2500K,
Idle Load Gaming Load
Arctic Cooling 28C 36C 40C
Coolermaster 28C 37C 43C
Arctic Cooling heatsinks are designed in Austria and Switzerland, so I'm sure that thay know a thing or two about cooling.

Have you seen the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro?
m
l
May 14, 2011 7:19:52 PM

Killbomb, I'm having the exact same problem (but have different hardware other than the CPU). My idle temperature in Windows 7 is an excellent 33C but maxing the CPU raises the temperature to 90C. I've noticed that my CPU fan is always around 2000 rpm. Lowering my CPU ratio seems to help the temperature but I'd like to be able to get at least the full 3.3 Ghz out of the thing. I would be interested to know whether a new heat-sink resolves your problem.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
May 14, 2011 7:52:36 PM

bearclaw99 said:
Buying an i5 2500K and even considering overclocking it (or stock for that matter) pretty much mandates buying a 3rd party cooler. Intel HSFs are crap. I toss them immediately in the trash when I buy a new CPU

A $30 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ would be much better. It will get your over 4 ghz easy with good temps

Yet strangley my work sells a pretty nice Intel HSF for LGA1366 that I would use at stock. Its half copper, half nickle with a blue LED fan that has a switch to make it go slow or fast.

As for the OP, 90c is very hot. I have seen quite a few builds for SB based CPUs and they never get that hot at stock with the stock HSF.

I would get a decent air heatsink like the Zalman 10X or something along those lines. They will give you the best cooling. Also make sure to use either Noctuna, AS5 or my fave, IC Diamond 24.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 1:49:39 AM

Just finished a I5-2500K w/ Asrock Z68 Extreme 4. Stock the Zalman 9900Max-b on it.
Fired it up w/ one stick of ram in it. Worked so put the other three sticks in. Set it to use XMP profile one, then ran memtest for about 2 hours.

It's on the table (not in a case), the CPU temp showed 33 C. No HDD connected so can not tell what the core temperatures are.

Did not even think about installing the Stock HSF!!!

Have to decide on a case, SSD, and a GPU. Will pickup a copy of Win 7 tommarrow and just use one of my HDDs laying around untill I get the SSD. The 9900Max may be good and it looks great, BUT it was a reall PITA to get on there.

Killbomb - I think it's time to get that 3rd party cooler. Everybody and there brother agree that your temps are are than what they should be for the Intel HSF, and the majority of us have recommend going with the 3rd part cooler. AND ENJOY your build rather than fighting with it.
m
l
May 15, 2011 1:57:52 AM

RetiredChief said:
Killbomb - I think it's time to get that 3rd party cooler. Everybody and there brother agree that your temps are are than what they should be for the Intel HSF, and the majority of us have recommend going with the 3rd part cooler. AND ENJOY your build rather than fighting with it.

I got the Hyper 212+ from the Micro Center in my area and I believe it fits my case but just barely. Basically as long as I can get the case cover back on (which I am able to) I'm ok? Also, does it matter which way the fan on the cooler is pointing? I have it facing the RAM now and there is just enough clearance.

EDIT: Actually there isn't enough clearance with the RAM. The fan ends up sitting on top of the first RAM stick. Can I safely move the RAM to other slots? I believe I am supposed to use the blue slots for my mobo (which are slots 1 and 3).
m
l
May 15, 2011 5:12:48 AM

Jayman777 said:
Killbomb, I'm having the exact same problem (but have different hardware other than the CPU). My idle temperature in Windows 7 is an excellent 33C but maxing the CPU raises the temperature to 90C. I've noticed that my CPU fan is always around 2000 rpm. Lowering my CPU ratio seems to help the temperature but I'd like to be able to get at least the full 3.3 Ghz out of the thing. I would be interested to know whether a new heat-sink resolves your problem.

Managed to get the Hyper 212+ on there after moving the fan up a bit so it would be above my RAM and the difference is night and day. Ran Prime 95 for 30 minutes and the temp did not rise above 54 C using CoreTemp. It idles in the mid 20s to low 30s now. When I looked at the CPU after removing the stock HSF, it looked as though the pre-applied thermal paste maybe hadn't spread around the CPU far enough. I used Arctic Silver 5 with my new HSF so hopefully I am good to go now and can relax and enjoy it. :D 
m
l
May 15, 2011 4:27:16 PM

Killbomb said:
Managed to get the Hyper 212+ on there after moving the fan up a bit so it would be above my RAM and the difference is night and day. Ran Prime 95 for 30 minutes and the temp did not rise above 54 C using CoreTemp. It idles in the mid 20s to low 30s now. When I looked at the CPU after removing the stock HSF, it looked as though the pre-applied thermal paste maybe hadn't spread around the CPU far enough. I used Arctic Silver 5 with my new HSF so hopefully I am good to go now and can relax and enjoy it. :D 

Thanks for the response. I'll get a new HSF and report back with my results.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
May 15, 2011 5:20:06 PM

Killbomb said:
I got the Hyper 212+ from the Micro Center in my area and I believe it fits my case but just barely. Basically as long as I can get the case cover back on (which I am able to) I'm ok? Also, does it matter which way the fan on the cooler is pointing? I have it facing the RAM now and there is just enough clearance.

EDIT: Actually there isn't enough clearance with the RAM. The fan ends up sitting on top of the first RAM stick. Can I safely move the RAM to other slots? I believe I am supposed to use the blue slots for my mobo (which are slots 1 and 3).

For the most part you want the CPU fan to pull cool air from the front of your case and push it out the back. Thats the best air flow.

As for the RAM, make sure with your mobo but normally you want to either use all the slots or the first slots, i.e. DIMM_A1 etc. Thats to give the best performance, stability and reliability wince those traces are closer to the CPU itself and that means lower latency, better timings etc.
m
l
May 20, 2011 2:17:01 AM

I installed the Hyper 212 Plus and it seemed to resolve my problems as well. I ran Prime95 for an hour and did not see the temperature rise above 41C.
m
l
!