Sign in with
Your question

Bought a 6850, have questions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 5:19:52 PM

Ignorance is a bliss. I'm new at pc gaming and I do know a little bit, but I don't know all the technical details of the graphics cards, processors, mobos and I would like to learn about them. I don't want to go to forums every time asking if so and so parts good. I would like to have enough knowledge to know what parts to buy myself. Anyways, I bought a 6850 without knowing it's a midrange card. The guy at the shop told me it was a high end card. After finding out I'm a bit disappointed because I'm going for the high end stuff that will last a long time and run games without problems. This is what I bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX HD-685X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Should I return the graphics card and get a better one? Or return everything and get better stuff?

More about : bought 6850 questions

a c 217 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 5:26:00 PM

While the 6850 is the new midranged card of the 6000 series. The high end line up has not yet been released, so it actually is a high end card for now. It performs very close to the 5870/5850's, in many cases it's faster.

You got a nice card for your needs and it overclocks to 6870 performance.

Btw, what monitor resolution do you use?
m
l
December 12, 2010 5:42:47 PM

Ah fudge, The guy told me that amd is all I need and it's more of a bang for your buck than intel. I guess the cards not too bad plus I might do crossfire, I think that's what it's called. So should I just keep this build? Or exchange everything? My resolution is 1920x1080 will it run games at high settings?

Tweak the resolution? By that you mean lowering it? If so than that sucks...
m
l
Related resources
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 5:48:04 PM

For any 1920x1200 or lower resolution with a single card solution, the AMD is all you need. You got a high end budget build. There are faster setups, but they cost more.

The 6850 is one of the best bang for buck higher end cards and so is the Phenom 965 BE CPU.

Ya, the 6850 won't be the high end card of the series, but until the 69xx cards are released, it is.
m
l
December 12, 2010 5:51:03 PM

Should I wait until the 69 series comes out and return my card?
m
l
December 12, 2010 5:57:10 PM

YOu should jsut buy another 6850 and presto high end.

Lol what?

The AMd 955/865 (same ***) still does fine once you ge tit 4.0ghz.
m
l
December 12, 2010 6:05:14 PM

Thanks guys. Last time I ask though, should I just build the damn computer and crossfire it later to get a bigger leap in performance? But wait, I read that not all games support crossfire, so will the card do just fine on it's own? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm new at this stuff. And one more thing, how long will this setup last and did I get my moneys worth?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 6:06:24 PM

One 6850 is enough imo, to impress a new pc gamer. Things are going to look much prettier than console graphics, with the hardware you have.
A 6850 is easily faster than a gtx 285- o/c hd 4890 and comparable to a 5850 (almost), plenty of gaming power. Once you get used to everything, all the settings. What AA does and means to you, you might feel the need for more power.
See what the landscape looks like then.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 6:08:26 PM

Those are all up to personal tastes. It will still be able to run all games for the next 2-3 years, but towards the end, you likely won't be able to turn all the settings up. Of course that goes for almost any system.

I'd try it out the way it is. If you like how it performs now, then you don't need to get a 2nd 6850. If you find performance is suffering, then you can add another. This will be largely effected by the resolution you play at.
m
l
December 12, 2010 6:11:19 PM

notty22 said:
One 6850 is enough imo, to impress a new pc gamer. Things are going to look much prettier than console graphics, with the hardware you have.
A 6850 is easily faster than a gtx 285- o/c hd 4890 and comparable to a 5850 (almost), plenty of gaming power. Once you get used to everything, all the settings. What AA does and means to you, you might feel the need for more power.
See what the landscape looks like then.

Notty you made addict! Gratz!

Also, Almost all modern games support crossifre. The ones that e maxed dont can easily out on a single card (console ports).

The best soultion is to just buy another card for X-fire, giving yourself a setup that matches the 5970, last gens flag ship.

m
l
December 14, 2010 12:32:33 AM

Well I've built my computer and it's not displaying anything. I double checked twice to make sure the graphics card was in properly and it was. One thing though, when I was putting in the processor I had a bit of trouble with it. I wasn't rough with it but I don't know if I did damage to it. I have a DVI adapter and a vga cable on it. Could it be due to my old harddrive having the old bios on it?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 2:03:25 AM

What games are you looking to play now and in the future?
Would make it easier into determing how serious the games are and what you will want them to look like.
m
l
December 14, 2010 2:14:07 AM

I plan on playing future games. They don't have to have ultra high settings, I'm happy with my purchase. I just bumped this thread with another question on trouble shooting.

So, I made all the right connections and I'm hoping it will work. Before I turn it on, my harddrive has my os on it and the old bios. Will that cause it not to boot?
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 2:30:04 AM

thisguy105 said:
I plan on playing future games. They don't have to have ultra high settings, I'm happy with my purchase. I just bumped this thread with another question on trouble shooting.

So, I made all the right connections and I'm hoping it will work. Before I turn it on, my harddrive has my os on it and the old bios. Will that cause it not to boot?

The bios is not on your harddrive. That is stored on the motherboard itself. You may have to do a fresh reinstall of your OS, but it's not a problem with the bios. No matter what's on the harddrive, you should still see the boot screen.
m
l
December 14, 2010 2:46:50 AM

Well I don't. I have no clue why it's not displaying anything. I read the guide you linked and I forgot to put in the audio speaker. I did that, connected everything right but it still won't turn on. I'm ready to give up. It's been three days. I had no problem putting my other system together.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 2:54:11 AM

What games exactly?Please list game names of present that you play and the future ones you would like to..Example: Call of Duty Black Ops....Battlefield 3

Do you hear a *beep* sound when you turn on the computer?
Are you sure the Graphics card is properly seated in to the Pci-express slot.(can you see the GPU fan running when you turn it on,will tell if power is going to it)
m
l
December 14, 2010 3:05:55 AM

No I don't hear beep sounds, I plugged in the audio speaker from the case and I don't hear beeps, the graphics card fan is running and the games I plan on playing:
Portal 2, GTA IV, Heavily modded oblivion, fallout 3, fallout new vegas, morrowind, I can't think of anything else right now, but I do know there are games coming out that I want to play.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 3:28:01 AM

Yah,none of those games are particularay demanding you should have no problems running those games on maxed out settings...
I'm not sure on this but i'm sure your supposed to hear a *beep* sound when your computer first turns on..
The mobo is new?If so, it might be defective or the battery could be bad,i'm not sure but this could be 1 of many problems almost anything could be defective.
How old is your monitor?Are you sure thats not the problem,trying hooking up a sifferent one if you have one.
m
l
December 14, 2010 3:50:52 AM

Will do thanks.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 4:14:26 AM

look, if you wanted a high end card and the salesperson didnt sell you one, take it back and get a high end card like a nvidia gtx570 or gtx580. Also make sure you got a good power supply to run these things. 650w+ corsair, seasonic or antec are good choices. With PSU's remember you get what you pay for most of the time, dont cheap out on the PSU. as to your no display problem - did you plug in the gfx cards extra power connectors? what PSU do you have??
m
l
December 14, 2010 4:38:37 PM

FFFUUUU- this is making me mad to the point that I want to return everything.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 4:40:52 PM

Where did you buy the card from,didn't you say something like a computer store?
Why not take your comp to the store and ask them if they can solve it?
m
l
December 14, 2010 4:42:34 PM

I bought it from a local store. I'd rather not though because I don't have a car right now and taking the bus down there would be a pain in the ass. FFFUUUU- I just want to play civ 5.....
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 8:13:08 PM

ok, patience. You need to start from scratch here. Remove all components from the case. put the motherboard with 1 stick of ram and video card installed and psu on a bench. Power it on like that, if no go, try the other stick of ram. if still no go, you have a problem with either the motherboard, cpu (unlikely), vid card, psu. but theres a start. you need to start a process of elimination.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 8:18:44 PM

^true...make some sort of checklist.

I'm new to the whole *beep* thing but don't all mobo's beep when they first start up?
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 8:23:24 PM

purple stank said:
^true...make some sort of checklist.

I'm new to the whole *beep* thing but don't all mobo's beep when they first start up?

All the mobo's I know of do not beep when they start up, unless there is an error.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 8:34:55 PM

The pc will beep once if it passes the POST test on startup.
m
l
December 14, 2010 9:01:01 PM

bystander said:
For any 1920x1200 or lower resolution with a single card solution, the AMD is all you need. You got a high end budget build. There are faster setups, but they cost more.

The 6850 is one of the best bang for buck higher end cards and so is the Phenom 965 BE CPU.

Ya, the 6850 won't be the high end card of the series, but until the 69xx cards are released, it is.

(Odler post by me :) )
Well i have that same XFX HD6850 and they kick ass :sol:  , only require x1 6pin power connector(450Watt PSU or greater/Crossfire 600Watt),they can easily OC 25-30%, you have some Great performance at a fraction of the $$$ and Not to mention 68xx scaling and performance will get better, use less power, lower temps, DX11, MLAA, all these are better on 6xxx vs 5xxx.

I got my XFX HD6850@ 1,010Mhz Core, 1,180Mhz Memory with a simple Volt increasing using MSI After burner......been running stable for over a week no problems at all and i don't hit over 66c on the GPU at full load so I'm quite happy.....also don't forget that XFX gives you a Lifetime warranty on the card (if you register within first 30 days after buying it)and will replace it for any reason unless ofc you physically break it lol.

But Honestly 1x HD6850 is best in my opinion, more future proof i would say the HD6850 is and Starting off with a HD6850 you don't need a crossfire setup with them maybe a year down the road or longer and by then pick up another HD6850 and crossfire them if you feel you need to.

I love my XFX HD6850, I maxed out HAWX 2 @ 1920x1080, call of duty Black ops, Call of duty MW2 and other titles but GTA IV lol well plays fine on med shadows and and everything else maxed and the detail distance on 40/100 other two on 65/100 and i did all this before i OCED my card. GREAT CARD :sol:  HD6850 is a great performer on it's own, certainly not lacking in anything right now.

As far as Cross fire goes check out this chart!..........HD6850 in CF are Neck to Neck with the HD5970 2GB and 68xx don't have official drivers yet till the release of catalyst 10.12 This month or early Jan,2011 so who knows maybe better performance after official drivers. :bounce: 

(NOTE! 10.12 beta/Preview is available now to give it a try before its official with AMD - Get it HERE)

m
l
!