Need help with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme USB 3.0 Firmware

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Hello,
I want to ask if anybody has firmware for the ASM1042 controller specifically for asus Rampage IV Extreme board (or the one isntalled in the factory). Ive installed the latest firmware form http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm - Version 110914 Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7 32/64bits but when i copy files to usb3 disk there is a 5-6 sec pause between copying 1 big file and another . I dont know if it was like that before this firmware upgrade because i didnt watch file copying before (i did not do it often too)an i would like to check if that happened on stock firmware but anyway i would like to flash this to stock to see if it happens again. Please someone help.

I've build a few systems off the R4E and didn't notice and pauses as described, I only used the ASUS D/L driver Asmedia Driver V1.14.1.0, nor do I go to ANY 3rd party sites for drivers e.g. http://www.station-drivers.com/ !

IMO use the ASUS OEM drivers -> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download or go to Asmedia OEM -> http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=98&item=100 but their drivers aren't available to the 'public'. Using any other driver risks pooching both the Chipset or MOBO.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I know but the problem is not with driver. The problem is with firmware for the controller which i updated (seriously i dont know why i thought itll be ok) and now i need to reflash to the original R4E Asmedia Firmware but i dont know how/where to get it . Im using official asus driver.

RMA the MOBO, you pooched it. Some Drivers are Drivers + Firmware, and if the ASUS's listed on their site cannot resolve the problem then I don't know what other choice you have. I'm careful using Drivers, Drivers + Firmware, or Firmware. Apparently this is a learning curve.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Indeed it is a learning curve... I wrote to ASUS support site aswell as to ASMEDIA support with a question if they can send me installer for the official asus FIRMWARE made for R4E . This is a big mistake i made and truely it is a learning curve - but sending it to RMA shouldnt be neccesary cos i doubt they will do anything other than just flash the official firmware. I hope someone will help/send me the correct firmware.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
UPDATE: I ve found on http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm
when u download the position : Version 1.2.0.3 Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7 32/64bits there are 2 folders after unpacking the archive. In the folder firmware there is file called d.bat and according to readme it checks current ASMEDIA controller version. I would be very gratefull if someone could check what firmware R4E uses so i can search it and reflash...

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Hmm. As far as i know by now this firmware i dloaded and flashed is made for ASUS boards with ASUS UEFI (even duded in Your link sayed so and the package comes with ASUS drivers and setup)... There are people who have other problems with those firmwares and it seems that its not s hard for asus to send good firmware (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20111203065442448&board_id=1&model=P8Z68-V+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us)

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Probably. But the best thing is that the firmware i flashed is from ASUS... Odd thing. Anyway im gonna wait for asnwers from ASMEDIA and ASUS. RMA is last thing id do (disasembling my rig would be pain in the ass)

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
OMK, i've made some reasearch. I have 2 usb 3.0 2.5" external drives - 1 seagate in 3rd party case and 1 samsung (1 of the first samsung drives) I copy 3 iso images of windows server and windows 7 x64 and x86 to those drives . On the ASMEDIA controller between copying each of the file there is 31-32 sec pause always. I copied those images through LAN to my Laptop which has NEC/Renesas controller and i started to copy those fiels to same drives and there was pause but not 30sec long but around 15-16 sec long. Then i used my corsair Voyager USB 3.0 pendrive and those files copied without any pauses . I dont know what to think abut it , i cannot believe that both drives i have have same problems and suck ...

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
They didnt tell me anything so far , and this thing happens on renesas controller on my laptop it just last shorter... It may be the nature of my HDDS tbh. I flashed the bios to the initial one to see if its flashing the USB 3 firmware and then i flashed to the newest one - it didnt touch the USB 3 firmware so i doubt they are linked . I would liek to test firmware 2.32 (110322_00_02_32) which ppl state is a factory installed one , but on every firmware i trie the same thing happens - same as on RENESAS/NEC (but shorter pauses)... Why would it happen on Renesas too ??(i didnt touch the firmware on laptop).

Firmware will include specific communication protocols and my observation is they, ASM1042 + X79, are 'linked' and the pauses are a symptom of a timeout of lacking correct protocols. I know that the USB 3.0 chipset {NEC, ASMedia, Fresco, etc} has a PCIe link directly to the, in this case, Intel Chipsets {X79, Z68, P67, etc}. Gigabyte and other sources will show a chipset/MOBO block diagram.

Example, if the firmware used was optimized for say Z68 then installed on your X79 it either might not work or in this case work poorly aka timeout/pauses. I've seen this similar situation happen before which is why I'm leery of firmware, know to very carefully read the 'Read Me' before beginning the process, and concluded as I have above. That sparked my quick conclusion to RMA.

If ASUS, maybe another X79 MOBO, can provide you the correct firmware in the form of an installer then maybe it'll fix the problem, but if the botched firmware won't accept the firmware then there's only one fix -- pull the chip and replace it.

The ASMedia are newer and the truth is I'm not 100% sure. All I know is that the ASMedia has to properly communicate with the X79 chipset. This is an observation and past experience with other chipsets + firmware.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

Well,
It can be possible. But in this case it can be normal , cos with my Renesas laptop the pasues are there too and i didnt flash anything on this laptop. Its in 100% factory condition thus it makes me think that it can be the fault of the drives (when the pause occurs the LED of the drive still blinks). Before the flash i never watched the copying process and cos of that i dont know if that thing happened.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
But i mentioned Renesas USB 3.0 controller not SATA. I made comparisone - same drives and files on both renesas and ASMEDIA and in both there is pause but on Renesas that pause is shorter.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Wel lthe problem is its not a flash drive . It happens on USB external 2.5" HDD's , 1 is samsung and another is seagate in a 3rd party case and both have the pasue crap (but the LED is blinking during the pasue) The transfer sometimes starts even from 400mb/s ; ooo but then it drops down to 120-100 mb/s . When i try my Corsair Voyager USB 3 8GB pendrive it copys those files normally (but it has like 14mb/s transfer rate so maybe the controller has time to think about it XD )

The fastest mechanical HDD is 120MB/s~150MB/s (150MB/s with 10K/15K SAS), and the peak you see e.g. 400MB/s is the cache (memory on the HDD). The sustained 100MB/s~120MB/s is perfectly normal and full expected; i.e. nothing wrong.

Further, the pauses are the time it takes for the HDD to spin-up especially if you have Windows set or the external's management spins-down the drives.

TRENDING THREADS