Sign in with
Your question

TV stopped displaying pc via hdmi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 5:55:16 PM

Ok, so I have been looking for a solution to this all morning. I have always used my LG 42LH90 as a primary monitor for my computer. I have a fully updated 9800gtx+ and Windows 7 64 Pro and I connect with a DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable. I was using my computer no problem since I got it almost a year ago. I recently moved to a new place and I went to turn the computer on last night and it doesn't get any signal at all. Not even bios.

Ive already tried:
Different HDMI cables
Different TV inputs
Both Graphics card outputs
Uninstalling the most recent windows updates
reinstalling vid card drivers

I connected it to my 22" monitor and it works fine. same output on the card and same HDMI cable and input. If I use the 22" to boot into safe mode I can get the desktop to show up on my 42" however under the device manager I don't have a display listed at all. I guess I would have expected at least a generic display or something.

I also tried plugging my laptop into it via HDMI with no success. Doesn't matter which display mode or resolution I tried nothing worked. So I have come to the conclusion that it is something with the TV most likely related to HDCP or something. Is there some type of setting in the TV that may have been triggered by something. I tried resetting to default settings on the TV but to do a factory restore you have to have a service remote. I don't have a VGA cable to try but I'm guessing it would work via VGA.

Any Ideas you guys have would be much appreciated. I'm going to try calling LG to see if they can help me out, But I'm sure they will treat me like I'm 5 years old with an IQ of .5. Thanks in advance!

December 19, 2010 4:36:57 AM

I figured it out. I had added a power splitter on the outlet it was plugged into. It sounds really dumb, but having insufficient or an unstable power source can cause some weird issues. I guess if you were having this issue I would recommend Plugging strait into the outlet bypassing power strips or splitters or plugging it into an outlet on a different circuit. Hope this helps someone!
!