Phenom II X4 925 +12V too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Going to be overclocking my CPU soon, and have been running prime 95 and monitoring system temps to ensure stability. I noticed in HWMonitor that my CPU +12v is running at 12.88 which seems high. Also one Prime95 torture test run yielded a fatal error on core 3 after about 10 minutes: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I havn't OC'd the CPU at all yet so Im worried something is wrong, and definitely worried about that high +12v reading. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is too high and/or could it be causing the Prime95 error?

Thanks in Advance, really appreciate any/all help!

Specs:

Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8Ghz (stock)
ASRock M3A770DE Mobo
8GB DDR3 1333MHz Ram
500GB Seagate HD6950 2GB
Thermaltake ToughPowerXT 775W

Solution
The ATX standart sets voltage fluctuations at +/- 5% from 3v 5v and 12v, though very few power supply power supplies are able to acomplish it when under load, 12.88v would be a 7% increase which isn't low but I would call normal, but definetly not a reason for concern, if it starts going over 13v DO replace the PSU.
Thermaltake isn't known for making great PSUs either but that one is one of their good ones.

"Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 " likely it's a memory problem, I have a AM3 rig and that exact same problem happens when the memory voltage is set too low(the mobo sets it too low by default), and only in the blend test ( which is more heavy on the memory).

First reset EVERYTHING to default in the BIOS, then manually...

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
The ATX standart sets voltage fluctuations at +/- 5% from 3v 5v and 12v, though very few power supply power supplies are able to acomplish it when under load, 12.88v would be a 7% increase which isn't low but I would call normal, but definetly not a reason for concern, if it starts going over 13v DO replace the PSU.
Thermaltake isn't known for making great PSUs either but that one is one of their good ones.

"Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 " likely it's a memory problem, I have a AM3 rig and that exact same problem happens when the memory voltage is set too low(the mobo sets it too low by default), and only in the blend test ( which is more heavy on the memory).

First reset EVERYTHING to default in the BIOS, then manually set the memory speed, timings and voltage to the manufacturer specs.

Solution

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Sweet thanks for the tips, the ram speed and timings were ok but I changed the voltage and ran Prime95 for 2+ hours with no errors so far. I did notice that the BIOS shows my +12V running at 12.32 but when I boot into windows and open HWMonitor, it shows between 12.88 and 12.94.

And yeah Thermaltake isn't the greatest brand but I had read nothing but great reviews for that model and it went on sale for around 69.99 after rebate so I figured it was a safe bet, really hope I didn't get a faulty unit.

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Ok thanks guys. One more question, a stupid one I'm sure, does it make a difference whether my mobo is connected to the PSU via ATX(8-pin) or EPS(4+4-pin)? It's currently plugged in to the 8-pin...

RussK1

Splendid

Keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.