Remove graphics card of a cheap case

mrboese

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I buyed a Zotac NVidia 440GT even I wasn't sure if my motherboard would work with it and the power supply would give enought power.

I gave it a try and .. failed. I couldn't get my old graphics card (X1950GT) of the case. It's not the PCI Express slot (MSI PT890 NEO-V don't have something like a handle/lock), but the DVI link of my old graphics card - it's blocking the way, so I cannot remove the card.

Do you have some ideas? What should I do?

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I would try various MSI official web sites to find an owners manual. Or possibly other makers from the same period.
To me it appears a 16 X1.0 PCIE from before the 16 X 2.0 WE ARE FAMILIAR WITH.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I think the card is stuck between the dvi connector and the metal plate that slide past the mainboard, so when he tries to get it out the dvi connector hits the edge of the casing thus not letting the card come up any higher.

Try this (carefully).
Socket the card back in place, then push the backside of the card (the side in the case itself down) and push carefully on the top side of the dvi connector upwards.
This way you should be able to tilt the card out of that tight spot.

Or like Stig said, there can be retention system in place, do you see screws if you look at it from the backside?
if there is a metal or plastic plate on top of that then follow that and see if there is a button or screw holding that plate there.

If i am wrong please do make a picture and post it here.

mrboese

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Yeah!

I managed to get my old video card out! I bend the area of the case next to the graphics card (without a tool - this would destroy the case) as long as I was able to get it out.

My graphics card is working even I was unsure if my power supply would give enough power.