Laptop questions

Just purchased a Dell Latitude CPI A366(XT or ST?) on EBay and have a few
questions since I don't really know a lot about laptops.

Basically all I want is to go wireless (have DSL) around the house. Will any
of the current 802.11 PCMIA Cards work in this old machine or do I need to
look for something specific. I need a router as well so I was hoping to snag
a "kit" on Ebay.

How would I go about ghosting the drive in this thing (possibly to a drive
in my desktop). The seller claims "Loaded with XP" which I am waiting to see
but even if it is I don't think there will be CDs included so I need a
contingency plan:). I have set up a direct connection before between two
desktops on the LPT port - would it work the same with a laptop?

Seller claims the machine is in perfect working order but what are the "soft
spots" I should look for upon receipt. Been around the Dell forums and other
than batteries and dead keys can't find much.

Lastly - what is a Token Ring PC Card (included) and would I have any use at
all for it.

Thank you , james.
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop questions

    All I can say is, you are very brave buying a high-priced item ur not
    familiar with from eBay. Good luck with it.

    Thank you. I hope it has a built in "Nag" function that works as well as
    yours.

    Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:36:59 -0500

    ... Basically all I want is to go wireless (have DSL) around the
    house. Will any of the current 802.11 PCMIA Cards work in this old
    machine or do I need to look for something specific.

    Hi James... there are 802.11b and 802.11g. The "g" offers the higher
    54Mbps bandwidth. And for security, make sure it supports WPA. As WEP
    can be cracked in 24 hours.

    I need a router as well so I was hoping to snag a "kit" on Ebay.

    A wireless router with 802.11g. And if the PCMCIA wirelessly is from the
    same company as the router, some offer high bandwidth. Like US Robotics
    offer 125Mbps between the two. Otherwise a mismatch will only give you
    54Mbps tops.

    How would I go about ghosting the drive in this thing (possibly to
    a drive in my desktop). The seller claims "Loaded with XP" which I
    am waiting to see but even if it is I don't think there will be CDs
    included so I need a contingency plan:).

    I'm probably the wrong one to ask. As nowadays I depend on install CDs
    for applications and the OS. And I just make backup copies my data. I
    used to make backups of everything and/or clone partitions. Although
    backups are not always reliable (tape or CDs) and cloning partitions are
    okay until you try to make it bootable again.

    I have set up a direct connection before between two desktops on
    the LPT port - would it work the same with a laptop?

    Yes, but way too slow! It would probably take 1000 hours to backup 20GB.
    Your planned network is far faster.

    Seller claims the machine is in perfect working order but what are
    the "soft spots" I should look for upon receipt. Been around the
    Dell forums and other than batteries and dead keys can't find much.

    I don't know much about Dell's so I'm not much help there.

    Lastly - what is a Token Ring PC Card (included) and would I have
    any use at all for it.

    I wouldn't think so, as that is using 802.5. Heard of anybody networking
    under 802.5 lately?

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    Thanks - that answers a few. You are right on the direct connection - if
    would take forever. I had forgotten how slow it was.

    Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:36:59 -0500

[...]

    As long as the laptop supports Cardbus, any PC Card wireless network
    adapter will work (PCMCIA is inccorrect terminology and should not be
    use). There are 3 wireless standards, "A", "B" and "G". For most
    people, for most people, "G" is the best choice, but "B" is ok and a
    little bit cheaper ("G" is a superset of "B"). "A" is not in widespread
    use.

    [If it doesn't support Cardbus, it's a REALLY old machine .... and it
    wouldn't be capable of running XP]

    You will need a router (technically, a router AND and a switch), and
    also an access point. However, for most people, the "right" product is
    a "wireless router", which is an access point, router and switch all in
    one single unit. Match the "B" or "G" standard to the card that you get.

    Don't use a parallel port to connect the two machines, use the network,
    either wired or wireless. If the machine doesn't have a built-in
    Ethernet port, get a WIRED Ethernet PC Card as well (you can get these
    for under $10 on E-Bay). You will have occasion to use it. You can use
    that to ghost the machine. Or you can use a USB hard drive.

    I have no idea what he means by "soft spots", that is his own personal
    terminology.

    Token ring is an obsolete non-Etherent networking technology for which
    you will not likely have any use whatsoever.

    Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:23:13 -0500

    Thanks - that answers a few. You are right on the direct connection
    - if would take forever. I had forgotten how slow it was.

    Hi James... Another thing think about is do you really need wireless
    networking? Don't get me wrong and I love mine but... Many routers now
    support HomePNA (Home Phoneline Networking Alliance) 2.0. This gives you
    10Mbps over your telephone wires (POTS).

    It doesn't affect a single line that already has a phone and DSL. As it
    uses frequencies way above both. And none of those DSL filters either.
    All that is needed is the hardware and a phone jack by the computers on
    the network.

    While wireless and direct Ethernet has advantages. Although running an
    Ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other is a royal pain
    (sometimes seemingly impossible). But using the existing phone line is a
    piece of cake in many cases.

    Wireless is great except for the security issues. Maybe hacking into
    your own computer isn't a big issue. But they can also use your Internet
    connection to do what they want. Like illegal activities like spamming,
    downloading child porn, etc. And when the FBI checks, it's you that gets
    blamed!

    So no wireless security is maybe a bad idea. So you use WEP instead.
    That will lower your bandwidth down a lot. I don't have any numbers
    since I didn't run it more than a few hours. But I do run WPA which is a
    lot harder to break into. And your 54Mbps only has throughput about 1/4
    of that. So we are looking at a real throughput at about 13.5Mbps.

    Now HomePNA isn't looking so bad, now is it?

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    James:
    I've partitioned my drive and installed the OS on both partitions(C
    and D), one for just backup with Internet access(D), one for everyday
    use(C). Then I made a backup using WINRAR of my everyday use drive,
    after I install all drivers and update XP. If I need to restore my
    primary boot drive, I start into my backup partition(D), and just use
    WinRAR to restore everything back onto the C: drive. Works great.
    Now I've copied it to my USB drive, and can restore the C drive with
    all the latest updates in 1/2 hour, another hour installing software
    that I use. A bit of preplanning will save you TONS of time
    later...when you really need it.

    Or you could purchase Norton Ghost, it works great, even from XP with
    only one partition. I would backup to an external drive.

    You could also take the 2.5 drive out of the laptop, with a 3.5 ->
    2.5" adapter, plug the drive directly into your desktop and
    backup/restore it from your desktop. Much faster.

    With the router and wireless, just use the router to network the two
    computers. Set the same WORKGROUP on both machines, be sure to give
    different names to the laptop and desktop. You should get a 100Mbit
    connection, much faster than the LPT port.

    samurai

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:36:59 -0500, "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Just purchased a Dell Latitude CPI A366(XT or ST?) on EBay and have a few
    >questions since I don't really know a lot about laptops.
    >
    >Basically all I want is to go wireless (have DSL) around the house. Will any
    >of the current 802.11 PCMIA Cards work in this old machine or do I need to
    >look for something specific. I need a router as well so I was hoping to snag
    >a "kit" on Ebay.
    >
    >How would I go about ghosting the drive in this thing (possibly to a drive
    >in my desktop). The seller claims "Loaded with XP" which I am waiting to see
    >but even if it is I don't think there will be CDs included so I need a
    >contingency plan:). I have set up a direct connection before between two
    >desktops on the LPT port - would it work the same with a laptop?
    >
    >Seller claims the machine is in perfect working order but what are the "soft
    >spots" I should look for upon receipt. Been around the Dell forums and other
    >than batteries and dead keys can't find much.
    >
    >Lastly - what is a Token Ring PC Card (included) and would I have any use at
    >all for it.
    >
    >Thank you , james.

Laptops