krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi,

Looking to build a rig for my cousin that will be used mostly for gaming. Medium to heavy gaming. He uses my machine (which I built) all the time and it seems to play whatever he throws at it (COD, etc,). I have an i5-750 and 4GB RAM with a discrete video card.

So in building his machine I was gonna go with the same CPU - i5 750 ... but I'm wondering about the i5-2500? I can get a good price on it but I haven't used it before. I've got some experience with the i5-750 and I've built several PCs with them and the CPU seems to work flawlessly with stock cooler. No high temps or over heating. So... i5 or i5-2500????

He's not gonna be over clocking it so.. and the video card will be no less than a 1GB. But in looking, I find a better selection of boards with an 1156 CPU...maybe it's just me? Please reply asap.

Krystal

G

Don't mean to be rude, but this is a dumb question, the 2500 is one of the fastest quad cores on the market, it is better than the 750, most of use here would call you crazy if you buy anything 1156 now.

The i5 2500 is faster than i7 8xx,

If you read some of the articles on this website, you will know that the 2500/2500k is the best gaming processor and tom's hardware doesn't recommend you buy anything better than it for gaming.

In short, get the 2500.

If I were you, I would sell him/her my 750 rig for cheap and build a new 2500 one.

There is a fairly big performance increase by stepping from the Intel® Core™ I5-750 to the Intel Core I5-2500 or 2500K. You can see the difference between the Intel Core I5-760 and the Intel Core I5-2500K here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=288. Since the cost difference between these processors and their boards is very small, my advice is to move up to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors.

Now while you or your cousin may not overclock yet you will find that on the new “K” model processors it is easier than ever before. On the Intel Core I5-2500K it is very easy to overclock and reach well over 4 GHz on good HSF on air and the small cost between the Intel Core I5-2500 and the I5-2500K (about $15) can give you a huge performance increase.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
My concern with the 2500 is over heating. I've read it can get hot. I would use some arctic silver thermal paste or something of the sort though.

With regard to the previous comment about being 'rude' I figured it was. I was merely seeking an opinion based on what I want the system for. Wasn't sure if the i5-750 would do it or not..as I'm not a gamer.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Any M/B recommendations to support the 2500?? I've had pretty good luck with Gigabyte boards. I've done 3 or 4 builds with them and haven't had a problem. Looking for something with 4 memory slots, HDMI and a decent amount of USB ports (some USB 3.0 would be nice but not a big deal).

Yes, there is a better selection of 1156 boards out there, partly because of a bug in the 1155 chipset which resulted in a mass recall. That bug was quickly resolved, but it has taken time for the fixed boards to come back on the market.

As someone who had the broken B2 chipset version and now has the fixed B3 chipset version, I heartily recommend the Sandy Bridge processors. Their performance is amazing, especially for the price. It's incredible that a $200-300 processor can compete with the $1000 flagship processor in most applications and games.

And as long as the stock heat sink is properly mounted, it will easily keep the processor within acceptable temperature limits.

For the mainboard, I'd recommend something like the Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 or ASRock P67 Pro3 B3. Both are $130.

G

That's why I said, don't mean to be rude, I meant to elaborate my point that the 2500 was far superior.

No hard feelings. :)

As for the 2500 overheating that is not true,

The 2500 can withstand higher temperatures than the 750 so intel decided to save money and use a smaller cpu cooler, so it doesn't make a difference. As for the motherboard, Why do you need four RAM slots and what graphics card will you use?