Case and PSU check please.

sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Ok, so I need a GPU and decided on a HD6850, however my current case has the PSU located under the drives and leaves no space for the GPU to be plugged in. So I will have to order a new case along with my new card... and maybe a PSU, getting costly lol.

Current PSU = Corsair cx 400w. http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/builder-series/builder-series-cx400.html
Proposed GPU = XFX HD 6850. 127w under load. http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/hd%206000series/6850.aspx
Proposed case = http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172779

I've got 2x80mm, 2x 120mm fans to use and that case will accommodate them. Would like it if I could use these in any cases suggested (although as they are cheap I'm not too concerned.

1. Will the 9-10 inch (with power cable) GPU fit in that case now the PSU will be located at the bottom?
2. Will the corsair be able to power the card.. pretty certain it will be fine but might as well ask.
3. Any suggestions on a case, that will fit and is cheap. I'd really like to spend £30 max on the case.

Lol I only wanted to spend about £70 just for a card :p now looking at £150.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd recommend at least a 500W PSU.

1. Shouldn't have any issues with the PSU in the way of the Vid card.

2. I'd step the wattage a bit for a 500W, or better.

3. The case may not fit the Vid, as it is fairly long. Most cases come with new fans, but by all means keep a hold of those as one may go bad or more airflow may be needed. Check the internal dimensions to the length of the 6850 to make sure it will fit (and not get in the way of the HDD cage).

sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Just had a read through all the reviews on the case and someone said there is about 11.5 inchs so ok on that, and others stated a few other cards that are longer than the 6850. So all good on that front i guess.

Would prefer not to spend on a PSU, so wondering if I do use mine to see if it will run it, should I expect a blow out or just a failsafe cut? keeping in mind that it is a well respected company and PSU.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Worst that can happen, is you blow the PSU and it takes out your: MB, Vid, Drives ect... I doubt it'll get to that point, normally it just won't boot.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

The 6850 is a 220mm in length card.
I think it should go up to a high end 450w.If you buy a generic psu you should buy a 700w one.

sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks guys, just posting this for anyone who is looking for an answer to the PSU issue here. I have it all running, no issues with the PSU while playing, haven't stressed yet.... and also plan now to OC my CPU because it is the weak link (I hope it is the CPU and not the graphics :()

The case is huge, and can accomodate most cards, it is 11.5 inches. The case is really good for anyone looking for a new budget case.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Great!
I hope you can stress test and give us a result later.

TRENDING THREADS