The problem came back :(

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I thought my BSD problem was taken care of, for my comp didn't do it for over a week; but now it's back. cry

Thanks to some excellent advice I received here before, I installed and ran SIW. After checking a few categories, I found this under memory:

Memory Summary Reported by BIOS
Warning! Wrong values reported by BIOS
Maximum Capacity 32768 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size [unknown]
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
DRAM Frequency 665.2 MHz
Memory Timings 9-9-9-24 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Any idea what all this means? Why the warning? How do I fix it? I am guessing that this may be related to my BSD problem.
Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 217926

List your complete system specs. I never even heard of SIW before this post. I usually just use CPU-Z, Speccy, HW Monitor and PC Wizard 2010.

If you want to actually test parts use memtest for memory, Furmark for graphics cards and Prime 95 for overall system stability. Make sure you monitor temps when running Prime 95 and Furmark.

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Core i-7 2600k @ 3.4 GHz/ MSI Z68A-GD80 (gen3) mobo/ MSI GTX 560 graphics card/ Corsair Force 3 SSD 120 GB/ 23in. Samsung LED monitor/ G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 9-9-9-24/ Windows 7 Professional upgrade 64-bit/ Antec 750 Earthwatts PSU. Anything else?

D

Deleted member 217926

Ok a new build with quality parts.

Are you overclocking anything?

When does the computer crash? Randomly or doing certain tasks?

Have you run the tests I suggested above? Run memtest overnight or for 8 to 10 hours. That will rule out bad RAM. Furmark should be run for an hour or so to make sure the GPU is stable. Run Prime 95 to test overall system stability. Prime 95 should also be run 8 to 10 hours while monitoring temps.

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
No overclocking. Will try to do the tests here quickly. And it happens when I put it to sleep. I'v also disabled auto restart, so hopefully I can pull some numbers off the screen.

D

Deleted member 217926

Memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

Furmark.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Prime 95.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

CoreTemp.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

All the other programs I listed in the post above are useful too. Just google them.

might try this

1) Looks like I may have found the solution: Changing PCI Link State Power Management to Moderate Power Settings. I discovered this after at least 50+ power cycles of adjusting one setting at a time, then once I started to narrow it down by re-enabling settings in the reverse order. Finally I can reproduce, and cure, the issue by toggling this setting between Moderate and Maximum. (Off also fixes it, but Moderate seems fine.)

www.forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=154280.0

if it only happens when you put it to sleep its most likely a motherboard issue. heard of several boards with sleep issues. try the latest BIOS and you may need to contact MSI. the other testing is great too, but it sounds like you.have a very specific issue related to one feature.

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I also just turned of putting the computer to sleep or turning it off automatically (since I'm pretty good on doing it on my own anyway). It makes sense that it might be turning off after the preset amount of time has passed, even if it is asleep.

I'll run that mem test tonight as well. Thanks!

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
This comp is driving me nuts. Now a new problem has appeared, and I don't know if it's a real problem or just an oddity.

When I start my comp (I turn it off at night because it's an SSD) there is the normal tone, but starting yesterday there is a tri-chirp after it. The first two chirps are really fast with a very small delay between the second and the third. Anyone ever heard of this just starting out of the blue?

Look at the Event Manager, as shown below, and look for [+] Critical errors. Next MSI typically has a backwards DIMM slot arrangement; use the Blue DIMM slots.

I assume that you installed all of the latest drivers listed on MSI's website - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD80--B3-.html#/?div=Driver&os=All listed for your OS.

If you post the exact set of RAM then I can post the correct manual settings in the BIOS to see if that corrects the memory issues.

The next is to 'try' a BIOS update with M-Flash.

Event Manager:
Event_Manager.jpg

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
OK. Under Critical it says

Event ID: 41
Source: Kernel-Power
Log: System
3 in the last 7 days

I also have 76 errors and 24 warnings in the last 7 days. What does all of this mean?

Critical is all you need to care about, stuff like some of Apple software throws all sorts of Errors and Warnings. Sure look at them, but they're not causing the problem(s) you posted.

I recommend SATA -> AHCI or if running RAID then obviously SATA -> RAID. If you changes the values in the BIOS then I recommend running 'Fix It' -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Event ID: 41
Source: Kernel-Power

Without more details it means an unexpected shutdown in Windows typically not from a BSOD. Most BSOD's generate a detailed report.

IMO start with updating the BIOS that is if your PC is stable in the BIOS.

F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH DDR3-1333 7-7-7-21 @ 1.50v

Footnote: DDR3-1333 is fine but often CAS 7 is difficult for some MOBO's, often I see 'good' RAM that's has excellent Frequency to CAS cause problems. Below is the Rated, but if that fails then try 8-8-8-24.

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1333 ; optional but setting it locks it in
DRAM Timing Mode -> Link
Advanced DRAM Configuration /
tCL -> 7
tRCD -> 7
tRP -> 7
tRAS -> 21

DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v ; IMO CAS 7 try 1.55v

Save & Exit = Yes

Good Luck! :)

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Ok, I found the DRAM settings under the overclock section, and adjusted the to the given values (although there were a lot more than just the 7-7-7-21, but I left them alone because I was not sure) I set the DRAM voltage at 1.550. Guess we'll see how it goes.

As a side note, while I was looking for the DRAM settings, I found a setting that had the comp turn off when AC power was lost. Could that have anything to do with my initial problem? I set it to last power state by the way.

Once again, thanks for the help all!

IF there's all sorts of brown/black-outs in your area or you often leave the PC for a longtime e.g. vacation then IMO have it set so the the PC remains off. I recommend an UPS, and I cannot stress how much longer life and less problematic your PC will be in the long run. In addition, I allow Hybrid Sleep (S3+S4 state) there's no sense in having a PC draw 100W~300W+ just sitting there if its not needed.

In my case I life in Florida with frequent brown/black-outs and lightning (FL is the lightning capital) during the warmer months.

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Ok, we don't usually have outage problems (I live in Phoenix).

I was also wondering about all the other DRAM values. Was I right in leaving them on auto, or do I need to adjust all of them as well?

Leave them alone and as Auto, you only need to worry about (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) and if the RAM frequency is faster DDR3-1600 or faster then the Command Rate (2T).

2kids

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Ok cool. I actually got a blue screen today. Here are the numbers, because I have no idea what they mean.

***stop: 0x000000IE (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)