I think my CPU is running too hot; but I can't tell.

unclestix

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Hello,

First let me say thanks for providing this great resource.

I recently did my first build. I just read online how to do it, found corresponding parts and went for it.

I'm running a AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad on a ECS A785GM-AD3(1.0) Motherboard, with a 600w PSU. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 se.

So far there are no problems at all. In the beginning (eg. first day) I didn't have the heat sink on correctly. It kept coming unattached inside (unknown to me) and the computer kept shutting down. I figured it out and put it on and smooth sailing since (6 months).

But I'm worried it may be running hot. Nothing seems wrong, but I'm getting weird readings. Perhaps the heat sink or paste isn't working since it fell off a few times?

I have a 120mm intake fan on the side, a 80 mm exhaust fan on the back and the PSU has an exhaust fan.

After idling, in BIOS I'm getting these readings:

42-50C CPU
40-41C NB
40C System

I downloaded SpeedFan. In that I'm getting:

GPU: 88-90C
Temp1:44-48C
Temp2:40-41C
Temp3:40-41C
HD1:36C
HD2:36C
Temp1: 30C
Core:46C
Core: 88-90C

Problem is I don't know what any of those sensors correspond to (besides the HD, and the GPU I assume is my graphics card). The last Core reading follows the GPU reading exactly.

In SensorsView I'm getting:

GPU: 88-90C
HD0: 36C
HD1: 36C

In EverRest I'm getting:

CPU: 30C
HD1: 35C
HD2: 35C

Thank you so much for any help you can offer. It is much appreciated.

Here's another application
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/PC-Wizard-Release.shtml

Clean thoroughly all the dust inside the PC, video card included. What's the CPU voltage in the BIOS, you can manually set that to 1.2-1.25V if it's higher. Does your video card have a fan on it or it's with passive cooling, its temps are high. If it's with passive cooling a side case fan to blow on it would help but better get a new video card or take it out and use the onboard video on the motherboard.

unclestix

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I have the big 120mm intake fan on the side blowing on the graphics card. It doesn't have its own fan. It's a carry over from my last PC.

I checked bios. I'm not sure which setting I'm looking for. I got these two:

CPU VCore 1.264

Current CPU Voltage 1.25

unclestix

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
That PC Wizard App gives better readings.

Thermal Zone: 30

Core 1: 34.9
Core 2: 34.9
Core 3: 34.9
Core 4: 34.9

Graphics card: 79.3

The graphics card is running way too hot, eh? Could that cause problems?

Those are fine readings. The graphics card could definitely be lower, but it's not dangerous. The CPU temps are completely fine.
But wait-the GPU is at 90C on *idle*? That's very strange, and would suggest that either something's running it in the background or there's a bad airflow problem. Get some kind of program that can monitor GPU load, and see if it's working.
What are your load temperatures?