Sign in with
Your question

Fastest GPU that is a single slot & doesnt require extra power...?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 9:40:04 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here as just joined up.

I have a potential system upgrade oportunity coming my way in the next week or so.

My dilema is...

Have been a PC user since I was 16, (now I'm 34) ... I got sick of them & moved away last xmas onto a MacBook Pro (top of the range).

Love the MAC, but now find myself coming back to PC's aswell (after all, PC's are everywhere)

So, I decided to utilize some of my old hardware & put together something fairly basic... Shuttle SN78SH7, running AMD 64 X2 5200+, 2GB DDR, ASUS 7950GT (without the power cord attached).

I was running the 7950GT with an external PSU (with the jumper mod to make it work not connected to a motherboard), but I think the external PSU was faulty anyways as It's now given up the ghost (not sure that it ever worked properly anyways...)

What is the fastest GFX card that will fit in this machine?

It will only take a single slot card & the standard PSU that comes with a Shuttle SN78SH7 is a 300W with no external GFX power lead.

I'm also thinking of maxing out the CPU & memory it can take... AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4GB DDR2 1066. Might also go with a 60GB SSD.

I know it will never be a hardcore games machine, but I am a big fan of FPS on the PC (Unreal Tournament, Metro2033, Half Life 2, etc...)

From what I have read so far... I think the Zotac 9800GT Eco 1GB DDR seems the best performance/price solution.

Your thoughts are opinions are welcomed, thanks.

Cheres,
Pete.

More about : fastest gpu single slot doesnt require extra power

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 9:50:13 PM

You should check out the GT 430 and Radeon 5670 (not sure if it needs a cable). IDK how they compare just an idea.
December 12, 2010 9:56:14 PM

jryan388 said:
You should check out the GT 430 and Radeon 5670 (not sure if it needs a cable). IDK how they compare just an idea.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I hadn't even considered either of those.

I really know nothing about ATI cards, apart from back in the day I used to have an RX800 AGP :) 

Cheers,
Pete.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 9:59:36 PM

if you're already willing to upgrade the CPU and add more RAM... you're also going to have to upgrade that power supply as well, to run a proper graphics card...

now you're looking at purchasing a CPU, RAM, a GPU and a PSU... at this point... if you're going to spend a few hundred bucks... i'd go for current tech... and start anew... wait for sandy bridge in a few weeks... and you'll be future-proofed for years to come...
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 10:01:00 PM

The best in slot that isn't a dual slot and doesn't need a power connector is the 5670 for ati and the GT240 for nvidia. The GT430 is slower than the GT240 by 10% or so give or take due to the weaker architecture and less bandwidth. Over all all 3 cards about the best that you can get without a high price premium or being far to rare. The 9800gt green edition is the top dog when it come to such needs as it is a single slot and doesn't need a connector.
December 12, 2010 10:02:10 PM

wasupmike said:
if you're already willing to upgrade the CPU and add more RAM... you're also going to have to upgrade that power supply as well, to run a proper graphics card...

now you're looking at purchasing a CPU, RAM, a GPU and a PSU... at this point... if you're going to spend a few hundred bucks... i'd go for current tech... and start anew... wait for sandy bridge in a few weeks... and you'll be future-proofed for years to come...

I can get a 500W PSU for the Shuttle XPC system that I have, that will run powered GFX cards, but it's £100 here in the UK.

Cheers,
Pete.
December 12, 2010 10:04:51 PM

nforce4max said:
The best in slot that isn't a dual slot and doesn't need a power connector is the 5670 for ati and the GT240 for nvidia. The GT430 is slower than the GT240 by 10% or so give or take due to the weaker architecture and less bandwidth. Over all all 3 cards about the best that you can get without a high price premium or being far to rare. The 9800gt green edition is the top dog when it come to such needs as it is a single slot and doesn't need a connector.

Which would you say is the best for playing FPS games... 9800GT green edition, ATI 5670 or GT240?

Cheers,
Pete.
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 10:06:12 PM

Quote:
ooops.

There are some that are capped and don't go over 75w thus lacking a power connector and draw their power from the slot. They are getting to be rare but yet I must wonder why is that people have already forgotten about them when they were the craze for the htpc world and people who didn't or couldn't afford to upgrade their psu. :sleep: 

:) 
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 10:08:03 PM

pete69zx said:
Which would you say is the best for playing FPS games... 9800GT green edition, ATI 5670 or GT240?

Cheers,
Pete.

FPS its the 9800gt and it draws the same power as the rest but idles hotter.
December 12, 2010 10:11:08 PM

How about if I suggest that I do get a 500W PSU that will run a GFX card...

What would the fastest single slot solution card be? (powered card)

Will it be better than the 9800GT Eco?

Just trying to figure out is it really worth swapping out my 300W PSU to a 500W & a cost of £100
December 12, 2010 10:12:06 PM

cheesesubs said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9800gt will be better choice if you're not limited by the budget. 5670 wasn't as good as 9800gt so far. and probably the only few single slot card with acceptable performance these day

Thats the same card I have been looking at :) 
December 12, 2010 10:14:34 PM

pete69zx said:
How about if I suggest that I do get a 500W PSU that will run a GFX card...

What would the fastest single slot solution card be? (powered card)

Will it be better than the 9800GT Eco?

Just trying to figure out is it really worth swapping out my 300W PSU to a 500W & a cost of £100

then 5770 will be on top list, btw do you really have to choose single slot card and without pcie connector? it is pretty limited in option.
December 12, 2010 10:31:44 PM

powercolor would have standard warranty without registration. and the best part is...it's pcb is shorter than other single slot 5770 which is only 7.5inches in length while most of them are 9 inches. perfect for htpc setup!
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 10:58:11 PM

cheesesubs said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9800gt will be better choice if you're not limited by the budget. 5670 wasn't as good as 9800gt so far. and probably the only few single slot card with acceptable performance these day

The 9800GT cards that lack an external power connector are underclocked from the reference speed for the card. So while a normal 9800GT is a bit faster than the HD5670 the green/eco version of the card is probably right in line with the HD5670 in terms of performance.
Considering the HD5670 is DX11 and also often cheaper it is the better recommendation IMO.
!