Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Future gfx upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 10:15:54 PM

Hi people.

Okay here's my question: what's the Graphics card I can get for a 430w psu.
specs:
AthlonII x2
ASRock M3A770DE
2gb stick of ram
430w antec psu
500 gb 3.5" hard drive
MSI r5550 1gb

I looking to upgrade from a MSI hd 5550. As this will be a back up computer when I do my BD build next year, I'm only planning on upgrading the cpu, the ram, and grapics card. I already have the ram picked out since it's just a single stick of ram, it's an easy upgrade, and the cpu will most likely be just an upgrade to a triple core cpu. The only reason why I have this gfx card is because I was under a tight budget at the time. the second reason, is the fact that when I upgrade the cpu and ram, the gfx card will become the bottle neck. I've been eyeing the 5770 but I want to make sure that I get the right card. as far as the budget, no more then $150, althrough I will put in another $25 IF it's worth the money

P.S. Now remember I'm not upgrading the psu

More about : future gfx upgrade

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 10:52:08 PM

Before suggesting any options you need to tell us the native resolution of the monitor you will be using.
Score
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 11:31:34 AM

If you aren't upgrading PSU then 9800GT EE, GT240 or HD5670 are your choice.
But again, like jyjjy said above, what is your native resolution?
PSU? brand? model?
Score
December 13, 2010 12:50:00 PM

I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO WAIT FOR HD 6670 LAUNCH IN JANUARY,IT WILL HANDLE DX11 BETTER,PLUS YOU WILL HAVE NEW AND MUCH BETTER FUTUREPROOF GPU FOR SURE,thumbs up if you agree
Score
December 13, 2010 2:48:35 PM

jyjjy said:
Before suggesting any options you need to tell us the native resolution of the monitor you will be using.

that's on the list of upgrades as well, getting a 1080p monitor not cheap ($180 for the cheapest one :ouch:  ) anyway I'm currently on a CRT but like I said, a new monitor is also on the list of upgrades.

the order of will most likely follow 1. ram; 2. cpu; now the fun part as this may change if I find a better psu at a low price, 3. psu/gfx card; 4. gfx card/monitor; 5. monitor. i hope you can understand that order.

I'm just trying to see what my options are and as the title says this is going to be a future upgrade, I don't know how far into the future and we must also remember I'm doing a new build next year as well. I already made the mistake of upgrading too soon instead of waiting on another computer about 6 months ago (it was an agp computer), that is why I'm asking. Considering it will be a triple-core, 4gig of ram computer, i just want a gfx card that will fit into that ratio quite nicely....without a big bottleneck going on.
Score

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 7:36:22 PM

wa1 said:
If you aren't upgrading PSU then 9800GT EE, GT240 or HD5670 are your choice.

An Antec 430w should handle cards that require a power connector. They have 360w on the +12v rail so any card that stays below 150w will leave over 200w for the rest of the system which should be more than enough. So the HD6850 or a GTX 460 will be ok on that PSU. 2 more gigs of ram is a good idea but replacing the power supply isn't necessary except for cards outside your budget anyway. Your CPU also isn't terrible. It should be sufficient for most current games although an overclock wouldn't hurt.
Considering your stated budget the best match would be the GTX 460 768mb for about $150. It is a pretty good card for 1080p but if you aren't buying right now you shouldn't be picking out a card yet as these things change.
December 14, 2010 5:10:26 PM

Best answer selected by James296.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 7:14:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!