Sign in with
Your question

Can connect new hp pavilion to router but not internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 1, 2010 10:15:03 PM

Hello,
I bought an hp pavilion laptop and just got it today but as the title says it can connect to my d-link dir-615 router but not to the internet. The diagnostic says that I have a break in the router, modem or computer.
The router is 2 years old and I was never able to set the stupid thing up correctly. The modem is connected to the spot in which the computer should be hooked-up to on the router and the computer to the spot for the modem. This is the only way it's ever worked. D-link was no ****ing help, excuse the lanuage, and Qwest my internet provide is no help. I have a working internet connection on my computer but the router shows that it's not connected to the internet. This must be the problem I'm having when connecting my laptop.
So how do I set-up the router correctly. I have PpoeP internet connection, if that helps. Also the cd with the set-up could only ever get to the internet connection test before failing.
Please any info would help.
Anonymous
October 1, 2010 10:35:01 PM

"The modem is connected to the spot in which the computer should be hooked-up to on the router and the computer to the spot for the modem." I'm afraid that sentence makes no sense to me.

Did you restart the router and modem together so that they handshake ?

Can the computer get on the internet if you plug it straight into the modem ?

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

m
l
Related resources
!