Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Something making high pitch noise, even on standby

Last response: in Components
May 13, 2011 12:46:04 AM

Hi there,
Got an issue with a computer I built about 4 years ago for our church. I dunno the exact specs, but its a core 2 duo, gigabyte motherboard in a small antec case with antec power supply.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a really annoying high pitch noise being out. Its not the speakers or anything, none of that is on. The computer is doing it, both when off and on. From my experience, it sounds like a capacitor but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.
I havnt taken it apart yet, but my only theory is that it could be the power supply, seeing as its on standby too. I was just gonna disconnect the power supply from the motherboard and if its still there, replace the PSU but other than that, I'm lost. I was posting here in case this is a common issue with an easy fix.
Thanks guys

Best solution

May 13, 2011 1:28:03 AM

Disconnect the motherboard, then try the PSU by itself. Try finding out where the noise come from, this meas get close to the different components.
a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2011 1:51:31 AM

Wait...you said it's doing it when it's OFF? How could that be possible? Even with the power disconnected? Otherwise, what do you mean by "off"?
It could be coil whine, which as far as I understand is caused by slight resonance in the PSU. I get it, or something with the same symptoms, when my GPU is under load. Does yours change with load?
To locate the noise, try a paper tube, like a paper towel roll, up to your ear.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2011 2:18:18 AM

Sorry, I meant off as in on standby. Obviously the noise is gone when the power is switched off. Its not a load issue either, its the same high pitched whine the whole time, when on standby or fully running. I'll have to look at the power supply next chance I get
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2011 4:45:03 PM

Yeah, sounds like that would be it if it's constant. Do a little googling on coil whine.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:45:36 AM

Best answer selected by TroyX87.
m
l
!