New AMD CPU running around 130 Degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitbull30

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Just got a new AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition CPU. Replaced a Phenom 2 9500.

The temps I am getting just running Firefox is around 130-134 Farenheit.

Is this too hot? Sounds like it to me..My other phenom ran around 112 Farenheit most of the time but some people told me that particular processor was known for running a little hot but was OK.

Only thing I can think of is I screwed up the Arctic Silver application because when I went to put on the Arctic Cooling Heat sink the damn clips wouldnt get on easy and it shifted around a bit. Thanks in Advance!

My Specs:

corasair 750 PSU
ASUS M3N78 Pro Board
4gb DDR2
Win 7 Pro 64
1 Extra HDD
3 case fans
GTS 250 Card

Solution
#1) You didn't give the Arctic silver time to cure. Cure time for Arctic silver is two weeks, this includes periods of full operation and downtime. There are plenty of other TIM's that have a much lower cure time, but I've always used Arctic silver with excellent results. It WILL run hot for the first two weeks. I believe the wait time is worth it. Most reviews I've seen on the high end Thermal compounds show they work about the same as Arctic silver. If some perform slightly higher, then for me it is not worth the added cost. I have about 5 tubes of free stuff that I rarely use.

#2) Your ambient house temp will also increase temps in your PC. The temps you are describing are not outta line with the ambient temp of your room. They are...
70 is a little hot. I believe it's rated for 62 (not a firm limit). What's the model of your case, and what are your ambient temperatures?
If you've got a whole tube of AS, you might as well just reapply. Alcohol works well to get the old stuff off.

Pitbull30

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
It is hot where I live so I turned on the AC to see what that would do. Right now the house is around 70-72 and my temps say 132 F.

That was my next thought - the case. Ive had this case for quite awhile. Its a cheap APEX (i think) case that came with a bundle when I built my PC from tigerdirect. However I do have 3 fans. 1 Puller, 2 pushers out the back.

If you think its the case please rec a new one. And if any of you have a trick for getting those damn clips for the CPU cooler on let me know. Its always been a challenge Stock fans, arctic cooling all of them.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
That is hot. It's too hot for it to be the just the case - especially if all of your fans are running. My guess is that the cpu cooler isn't installed properly. I had a similar problem installing a cooler on a AM3 processor. The advice I was given was "use more force than you are comfortable with." Triple check your manual, lay your case down horizontally and make sure you are pressing straight down.

Pitbull30

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Well i went today and bought a different type of thermal paste by shin etsu from frys instead of the arctic silver I got from there. Redid the install and its still hovering around 125-130. Right now im on the net and burning a CD and its about 130.

This time when i remounted the CPU fan it went on perfect in my opinion. Easier than any other time, and when i cranked the lever down it felt solid and flat no wiggle. Any other ideas... :pfff:

Here is the CPU fan I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

When a CPU rating like mine is 143 max farenheit. What does the max really mean? I dont want to trash this CPU before I get it dialed in..

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I'll second you on that one, I have a phenom II 955 BE Deneb. I was really uncomfortable with it, thought I was going to break it for sure. I've been hitting temps of 52 Celcius, in an old elite systems case. It's so old, that it had a floppy drive installed, and 256 mb of RAM. However, It seems to work fairly well, intake on the front, at the bottom, blowing past my HDD, and an intake from my PSU, gets exhausted out the back. (I'm convinced that I've done this properly) But what are average temps for 955 Black editions?

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
check vcore in bios. if its higher than it should be, temps will go through the roof.
stock pII cooler is garbage anyway IMHO, but apparently so is your case.

what size fans are in the case? 80mm? 92? 120? you could possibly rule the case out by taking the side panel off and pointing a fan at its innards, but APEX doesnt have a good rep from 'round my parts

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I saw 130 degrees and was like.. wow.. then I realized you meant Farenheit. FYI... nobody uses Farenheit or even any Imperial Measurement anymore (except maybe the USA). We use Celsius when discussing the heat output of Processors. Not trying to hate on your at all (just mentioning it that's all).

130F is quite warm... most Phenom II X4s I've seen run in the high 30s to mid 40s (Celsius). Might I suggest you re-seat that cooler?

Also... how many intake and out fans do you have on your system and what size(s) are they?

Pitbull30

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

What should Vcore be at? I am not using the stock cooler. Its a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64.

My case fans I believe are two 80mm and one 90mm. 2 pusher, 1 puller.

To: ElMoIsEviL:

I did re-seat the cooler today and tried a new therm paste. it is cooler but not great.

I just tried to encode a video and the temp hit 140 right away (60c) so i cancelled it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Believe it or not you can put too much paste on it. You only want a small drop in the center. I have the same fan on a 940 and i never get above 55C even when playing games. Also, it could be possible that the mobo is causing the problem. That ASUS is an old board and Newegg doesn't even sell it anymore.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Check with Asus your board might not support a 965 CPU. I checked a couple web sites.
The specifications from 2008 are AM2 and AM2+ with a weak BIOS not recommemded for overclocling and a North/Southbridge chip inclined to run hot.
You can try putting a fan on the North/Southbridge heat sink, it might be contributing.
From the reports the board is reccommended for Desktop or Home Theater use.
I think its time for a new board and ram.
Or a Proliminatech Megatherms Rev B or equivalent cooler.

#1) You didn't give the Arctic silver time to cure. Cure time for Arctic silver is two weeks, this includes periods of full operation and downtime. There are plenty of other TIM's that have a much lower cure time, but I've always used Arctic silver with excellent results. It WILL run hot for the first two weeks. I believe the wait time is worth it. Most reviews I've seen on the high end Thermal compounds show they work about the same as Arctic silver. If some perform slightly higher, then for me it is not worth the added cost. I have about 5 tubes of free stuff that I rarely use.

#2) Your ambient house temp will also increase temps in your PC. The temps you are describing are not outta line with the ambient temp of your room. They are about what I would expect. For a Phenom II quad core at stock speeds you can expect CPU temps around 30-35C idle and about 10C more load. This translates to about 40 core and 50C core load. This is in a space at room temp, basically 72F or 22C.

#3) I have owned and used that particular Apex case for over two years. It is a micro ATX case with limited air flow, but for a $35 case it is quite a nice little home..for a standard desktop machine. It is not meant to hold a gaming machine, I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to cool high performance parts efficiently. It does very well with my server. It is small, quiet and does the job. But I wouldn't put a black edition quad core in there.

I recommend you consider getting a gaming case with better air flow and designed to handle parts that run hot. The X4 955 is a hot CPU, rated at 125Watts.
For starters, I'd look at some budget models like the NZXT Apollo, the coolermaster storm scout (quite nice at $80 bucks and free shipping), and the Antec 300. If you want to step up to play with the big boys, consider antec 900, 902, or any of the coolermaster HAF series.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.