Sign in with
Your question

FSX Freezing. GeForce GTX 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 10:34:47 PM

Gday mate

We run FSX with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and get about 20fps, however for some reason the simulator freezes with the sound still working, is this a video card problem or CPU issues?

We have a 64bit HP IE7 2.6Ghz Processor with 8 GB Ram. With windows Professional 7

Any help is appreciated
Thanks Blokkies5

Tha
December 13, 2010 7:33:10 AM

Check your temperatures with HWMonitor (available from www.cpuid.com ) to check for potential overheating issues. Typically, your processor shouldn't exceed 70 (It should idle at 35 or lower) and your GPU shouldn't exceed 90 (idles at about 40).

Run memtest 86+ or Prime95 to check for potential CPU/memory issues. It will show any errors it can find.

Run FurMark to check for GPU stability. (This will generate a lot of heat and use a lot of power. If your GPU temperature goes higher than 90, I suggest you stop the program immediately to prevent damaging your GPU.). If you see any graphical glitches, it could mean there is a problem with your video card.

I suggest you run all of these, in the order I posted them, to do a general check-up of your components. You should also keep your drivers updated. The latest drivers can be downloaded at www.nvidia.com
m
l
December 13, 2010 8:46:56 AM

blokkies5 said:
Gday mate

We run FSX with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and get about 20fps, however for some reason the simulator freezes with the sound still working, is this a video card problem or CPU issues?

We have a 64bit HP IE7 2.6Ghz Processor with 8 GB Ram. With windows Professional 7

Any help is appreciated
Thanks Blokkies5

Tha

FSX is a CPU intensive game.So run some stress tests on it as said above.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 2:07:05 PM

2.6ghz single core? dual core? quad core?

When is the last time you updated your video card drivers?

What are your cpu and gpu temps under stress testing?

I'm interested in getting FSX for myself? Is the one from 2006 the latest or is there a newer version?
m
l
December 14, 2010 4:14:18 PM

I tried the demo and the graphics were pretty "stone age". Also you can only drop bombs by hitting "L Shift + D", how stupid is that? It's kinda hard flying with a joystick while you have one hand on "L Shift + D". Maybe one of the fire buttons on the joystick would be better??? Just dumb.
m
l
!