Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 4850 Crashing with StarCraft 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 12:45:04 AM

Hello,

I had a Radeon 4850 in one of my Dell machines and it was working perfectly fine running games like Dawn of War II and Sins of a Solar Empire. I built a new machine and took the card out of the Dell and put it into the new one. In the Dell, I put the old Radeon x600 back in and it stayed like that for a year.

So a year later, this week, I purchased a new Radeon 6850 and put it into my newer machine to replace the 4850. I then took the 4850 and put it into the Dell (which it used to be in a year ago). My new machine is doing great with the 6850, but my Dell is acting up.

The Dell, with the 4850, runs perfectly fine except when playing Starcraft 2 (haven't tested in any other games). While in the menus, it is fine, but as soon the game loads, maybe 30 seconds into it, the screen gets a bunch of random colors and the computer locks up. A hard restart is required.

Just to recap, this 4850 used to be in the Dell and I played intensive games like Dawn of War II on it about a year ago. So I am assuming the PSU can handle the game since the 4850 was fine in it previously. I downloaded the latest Catalyst, so everything is up to date.

Could the card be damaged now? I was just using it successfully in my newer machine just last week (and for a year).

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the wall of text. I just wanted to make sure you knew everything to not waste time.
a c 228 U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 1:19:30 AM

If you aren't using the most recent version of Catalyst, you should download and install. Earlier versions had issues with the SC2 because the GPUs would max out and run very hot.

Second, are you sure your Dell PSU meets the power requirements of the 4850 (500W or better)? That too will cause these issues.

Good luck!
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 11:35:20 AM

That could be an aging PSU.
What is your DELL PSU? brand? model? How old?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 1:12:00 PM

The computer is at another house, so I can't get an exact model of the PSU at the moment, but these are the specs:

DC power supply by Dell (Dimension 9150)

Wattage: 375 W
Heat dissipation: 1280 BTU/hr
Voltage: manual selection power supplies — 90 to 135 V and 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz

The computer is about 5 years old now. Also, just to reiterate, this graphics card was working in this computer a year ago, flawlessly.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 1:15:14 PM

I'm almost positive overclocking is software and not hardware, but I did previously overclock the card when it was in my newer system. Did I need to do anything to "unoverclock" it? I'm telling myself no, but just in case?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 1:43:30 PM

Pallimud said:
I'm almost positive overclocking is software and not hardware, but I did previously overclock the card when it was in my newer system. Did I need to do anything to "unoverclock" it? I'm telling myself no, but just in case?

Just go into ccc and restore it to it's default settings then, especially if you aren't sure what it was at before. Overclocking may be the reason your psu isn't able to keep up this time, or in the 5 years the psu has already begun to degrade and you need a new one.
Score
a c 228 U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 2:20:30 PM

BTW, the 375W PSU is way underpowered for a 4850. That is the likely culprit. Unstable/inadequate power will cause any number of issues with GPUs. Time for a stronger PSU. Good luck!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 2:42:52 PM

I'll try CCC and see what the card is clocked at. Maybe I can underclock it even to make it more stable.

And yeah, I know 375W isn't great, but it was enough to run the card for a few months without any issue. They ask for 500W on the card, but in reality, it doesn't need that much. I think the card itself takes only 135W and the processor is an older Pentium D.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll see what I find and post. I'll just be happy to know the card is not damage after moving it.
Score

Best solution

a c 228 U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 2:48:31 PM

While it may have been enough for a while, when PSUs are running max all of the time (and adding a relatively inefficient Pentium D into the mix) they tend to fail sooner, rather than later. Kind of like running your car engine at just below the redline all of the time, it will work fine.....for some period of time, but will fail.

Have fun!
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 2:51:30 PM

COLGeek said:
While it may have been enough for a while, when PSUs are running max all of the time (and adding a relatively inefficient Pentium D into the mix) they tend to fail sooner, rather than later. Kind of like running your car engine at just below the redline all of the time, it will work fine.....for some period of time, but will fail.

Have fun!

Ah I see, makes sense. I'm trying to avoid buying a PSU for the machine but I might have to bite the bullet :( 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 1:29:12 PM

Got a new PSU in and working great now. Thanks guys
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 1:29:45 PM

Best answer selected by Pallimud.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 1:44:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey