Laptop processor in a desktop?

Donmige

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
i have a amd athlon x2 64 laptop processor,the serial number on it is a amdtk53hax4dc. its from an old laptop with a burnt motherboard. I was wondering if i could use this processor to build a desktop, if yes what mobo would be a good buy. taking into consideration that i will be upgrading the processor to a phenom 2 in the future.

Not true (at 99%)! :non: I know plenty of laptops with cpu's not soldered in (1 of my laptops I know has an non soldered cpu. (Lenovo 3000 n200))

Now yes there are laptops with cpu soldered in but not at 99%. I would guess more around 65% to 85% [:grahamlv:3]

Although all this does bring up 1 point, you need to make sure that the cpu is not soldered in order to be taken out. ;)

Now as for motherboard that can take a mobile cpu, thats another story. there not a lot of these types of motherboards out there.

For you all i could find out there is this motherboard.

http://www.amazon.com/IEI-KINO-690S1-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B0031YCYWE

http://wwwd.amd.com/catalog/salescat.nsf/doclookupweb/5B08DE8F63A45F3F862572BC001ED692?OpenDocument&id=IEI+Technology+Corp.~KINO-690S1

Not exactly what i would call well known and i cant find the product page on the maker website....... So there still a risk of the cpu not working even if it can go into the socket.

Now in my personal option, i think you should go build a new desktop or buy a new laptop to replace the current laptop as thats a really old cpu.

There currently cheap $40 range single core AMD Sempron cpu's that would perform just as (if not faster than) than the cpu you got. (now there is a nice little bonus for these as they got the "possibility" to unlock to a dual core cpu turning it into an Athlon II x2 (although it may not work hence why i said possibility.) All this means is that there a chance of having even more performance than what you paid for. )

So if your looking into a very cheap computer build, you can revolve around that with something thats news can at least has a better up-grade path down the line (sempron $40, AM3+ motherboard $65, 2GB ddr3 is about $20 for those 3 components will only be around $125)

Overall, as said, it's old enough that it's not really worth looking into salvaging the cpu. A hard drive, maybe but not a cpu.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Ok thanks for the update.I havent had a laptop in two years so yeah.

Forgot that part, good catch. [:aford10:1]

he is right that laptop sockets and desktop socket have never been the same.

Even if your looking into the laptop cpu side of things, your cpu is on a socket thats far too old to run a Phenom II cpu.

So as said in the above post, I would recommend a new computer of some kind over salvaging an old cpu.

computergeek5

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
the answer your looking for is yes, it will fit but you have to be sore that the motherboard fits the cpu socket for your motherboard or can always find one on newegg.com thats where i found my at. all cpu or processors are all alike. just fit in different motherboards. if you need help find a motherboard just ask!

Pretty well answered but mainly the laptop cpu's that are removable don't fit standard mobo's due to the pin layouts.

I have worked on more laptops with removable cpu's than not, mainly the new breed of netbooks that are soldered.

Laptop CPU's generally have an M for mobile like the Athlon M series, they did used to work on old Socket A (462) boards.

Usually they are designed to run with less voltage resulting in cooler temps but I dont think this is the case for more modern day CPU's.

With the price of \cpu's like the PII I'd just go for that anyways.

TRENDING THREADS