jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello all,

So I have a few ideas for a system I wanna build, but would like some suggestions/advice.
I plan to accumulate the parts over time (buy the cpu this month, the motherboard the next, the GPU the next, etc...).
My budget range is about $1000 or maybe $1500 at the most (again, accumulated over time, so budget's not much of an issue).
I would use this system for a fair amount of gaming (on- and offline), and obviously checking email and streaming video (HD occasionally), also occasional office/productivity projects for school.
As far as parts go all I'm looking for are the contents of the tower, I'll look at the monitor/input devices later on.
I almost always shop on newegg.com, but I will trust other sites if I see them on this forum.
I want it to be an AMD system with superb graphics, but not necessarily top of the line, and it needs to be good and solid as well as upgradable (if that's a word) if I need to tweak it in the future. I would like to get into overclocking, too, so I want the components to be geared towards that. I don't plan on doing a crossfire configuration (just ATI for the GPU as well, by the way, not nVidia).

And here's what I've compiled as far as parts, tell me if everything works together and if I should get better/worse parts, things like that:

AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus
ASUS M4A88T-M LE
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
DIAMOND 5870PE51G Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213
Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB 7200 RPM (for most data such as videos, music, games, etc)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM (for operating system, generic applications, etc)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW...
SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST75F-G 750W ATX

I do admit, the GPU might be a bit much, I just shot high. Will it work with this setup?

Solution
Nah not that crucial but more importantly: config was with a Black Edition chip so one could just play with unlocked multi and volts for OC :p
Hmm similiar config but with a Deneb 955BE + small form factor/shoebox :p

$626AR
Untitled-1300.jpg

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
ok ok looks good :p so its all about the combo deals at newegg, I guess. is a 550w psu really going to work for that radeon hd 5870 card? and also I definitely want to get two hard drives though, sorry I didn't make that clear.