ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
hello everybody,

I was just wondering that is an i7 2600k really a good processor, till now I don't have any discrete graphics card but in few days I will be getting a gtx 460 1gb. For now, I have a H67 motherboard, which means that I cannot overclock my i7 2600k. I presently run integrated intel hd 3000 graphics which is not a good performer I know, but when I ran FSX which is considered as a most CPU intensive game, I set most of the sliders to right and made my way to Seattle Tacoma Intl. airport (KSEA). I was shocked to see enormous amount of lags and frame rate dropped to 13 fps, I wondered that maybe its the problem of the graphics card, but I heard that even a low end graphics card paired with a high end CPU can max out fsx, therefore I have few questions to ask:

Is this a problem of my CPU or the graphics card?

Is overclocking an i7 2600k (fastest processor on the planet as per reviews) really worth?

If I will buy a gtx 460, then will fsx lag on the same settings?

after all, is an i7 2600k a good processor?

I was short on budget thus I bought ASUS P8H67-V but will later upgrade to a Z68 chipset.

thank you.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Processor is one of the best, unfortunately Intel 3000 graphics are not meant for modern gaming. It compares somewhere around a 5450 Radeon at best

So yes, getting a 460 GTX would give you a HUGE difference. Have an i7 2600K + 570 GTX myself and have no probs running anything at 1920 x 1080 resolution

That depends on whether the applications and games you run will actually use the extra horsepower. Overclocking on Sandy Bridge systems is so easy (assuming you made the right choices when you did the purchasing) that it can be done in just a few steps with no fuss.

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I know that overclocking is very easy on sandybridge platform but since I was short on budget I bought a H67 motherboard, and I decided never to overclock. Also overclocking voids the warranty but still many people do. I want to run this pc for more than 5 years hence I want to keep the CPUs life longer, I just received a gtx 460 1gb and now every game is running maxed out.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Yes, even on the k series they violate the warranty once it runs greater than stock clocks.Kind of disappointing if you ask me.So you are planning to overclock your integrated gpu?