Sign in with
Your question

Any performance lost running GeForce GTX 460 on PCI E 1.0a motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2010 1:06:35 AM

From what I've read so far a PCI E 2.0 video card is compatible with a PCI E 1.x motherboard. I can't find any information on wether or not the card will lose performance on a 1.x motherboard.

I want to upgrade my video card on my Dell Inspiron 531. I currently have a GeForce 8600 GT. I would like to buy the GXT 460 but I don't want to waste money on a card I cannot fully realize its potential. Main question is: will there be any performance degredation and if so how much. My secondary question is if there is loss of peformance, what video card will maximize performance on a PCI Express 1.0a motherboard?

Thanks
a c 218 U Graphics card
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 1:16:15 AM

Yes, you will take a small hit in terms of performance as the 1.0 slot has less bandwidth than a 2.0 slot. It will be much better than your current GPU however.

You also need to verify that your current PSU meets the power requirements of the 460. Dell is notorious for using under-powered PSUs.

Good luck!
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:22:21 AM

thanks for the advice. Do you think I am wasting my money on the 2.0 card? Is there an older generatinon card that will match the performance of the GTX 460 on a 1.0a motherboard. Also, if I decide to buy it I am going to buy a 500w power supply as well.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 1:25:10 AM

Not a waste of money as you will have a GPU that you can use later in a beefier machine if you want. When you buy, go to a site like newegg.com where you can great combo deals for GPUs and PSUs.

Have fun!
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:27:27 AM

AAJorge said:
From what I've read so far a PCI E 2.0 video card is compatible with a PCI E 1.x motherboard. I can't find any information on wether or not the card will lose performance on a 1.x motherboard.

I want to upgrade my video card on my Dell Inspiron 531. I currently have a GeForce 8600 GT. I would like to buy the GXT 460 but I don't want to waste money on a card I cannot fully realize its potential. Main question is: will there be any performance degredation and if so how much. My secondary question is if there is loss of peformance, what video card will maximize performance on a PCI Express 1.0a motherboard?

Thanks

pcie 2.0's backward compatibility is known only support to pcie 1.1. any thing before 1.1 will have no guarantee in real time function. you won't lose any performance with gtx 460 because you may not even boot it up when you install it.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 10:13:02 AM

cheesesubs said:
pcie 2.0's backward compatibility is known only support to pcie 1.1. any thing before 1.1 will have no guarantee in real time function. you won't lose any performance with gtx 460 because you may not even boot it up when you install it.

The likelihood of the GPU not working in this config is practically nil. PCI-E 2 .0 cards are backward compatible to work in PCI-E 1.0 slots. This is not an issue. In this case, the PSU (Dell) is more likely to need replaced than anything else in order to support the new GPU.

For cheesesubs, what are you using as a source to make your statement? Not an argument, just want to see what you are referencing because it would be the exception, rather than the rule, for your scenario to be the case in this case.

Regardless, happy holidays to all!
m
l
!