Sign in with
Your question

Router problem using 2 computers

Last response: in Networking
July 6, 2010 12:37:08 AM

Hi there,

I'm having an ongoing and painful problem for many months that has me at my wits end.

I have two computers sharing one router on a high speed cable connection and it works great when one computer uses the internet, when two try at the same time they both freeze up immediately and become unusable. Any idea what could be causing them to lock up like that ?

Here's the history:

1 Original router worked great but it bit the dust last November so went out and got a new D-Link Hard wired router.

2. At first it seemed OK then within days got frustrated and figured it was bad router, took it back and got a new replacement with the same results.

3. Checked with cable company and all was fine there but signal could go iffy sometimes because we are in an apartment and we are on the "extreme" service so we are supposed to get the better signal.

4. Called D-Link twice now and they reset a few numbers and still have problems.

5. Made cable company come out and checked/tested/replaced all connections and gave me a brand new modem, still same problem.

6. My PC was getting old so I bought new HP PC last week, other PC is an HP too, still same problem.

7. Checked for IP conflict and renewed my IP,still having problem.

Is it possible the computers are networking somehow and think they are one and the same ? I'm running out of ideas from all my research on the net. All the techies on the phone claim trojan or they want $100 to answer my question.

So in other words, HELP !!

chipshot

Anonymous
July 6, 2010 2:04:22 AM

Has one of the computers previously used Windows Internet Connection Sharing as that sets an IP address ?

Disable ICS.

Check TCP/IP Properties on both computers.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
July 6, 2010 3:10:19 PM

Thanks fihart, both had ICS enabled. Seems to be working better now.

Still getting some slowness when the spouse loads up her blog. Not sure why blogs slow things down so much unless it is the pics.
m
l
Related resources
!