Converting tiff to jpeg

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 2, 2005 2:56:53 AM

I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
(during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.

It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
good!

The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.

I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.

Have I wasted my money?!

I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
the programme????

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, England

More about : converting tiff jpeg

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:32:12 AM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
> I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
> Have I wasted my money?!

Probably..

I'm not familiar with 'Advanced JPEG Compressor' but...

Photoshop has the ability to crop and/or resample large
images down to the 1050 x 1470 pixels Ofoto requires.
It also allows you to choose the level of JPEG compression.

PS
I hope you aren't using these pixel dimensions to print
anything larger than 4x6. If so, you'll wind up with
pretty low resolution photos.
February 2, 2005 11:40:22 AM

I use ACDSee 3.1 to convert all Tiff's to JPEG
Marcel

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
> professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
> (during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
> quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
> but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
>
> It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
> SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
> meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
> good!
>
> The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
> I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
> Have I wasted my money?!
>
> I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
> original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
> different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
> for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
> the programme????
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, England

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:44:33 AM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
> professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
> (during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
> quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
> but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
>
> It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
> SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
> meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
> good!
>
> The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
> I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
> Have I wasted my money?!
>
> I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
> original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
> different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
> for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
> the programme????
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, England

Of course you have wasted your money. Photoshop is quite up to the task.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:51:51 AM

Any print service that limits the size, I don't want to use.

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
> professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
> (during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
> quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
> but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
>
> It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
> SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
> meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
> good!
>
> The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
> I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
> Have I wasted my money?!
>
> I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
> original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
> different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
> for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
> the programme????
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, England

February 2, 2005 12:04:16 PM

If you have gone to all the effort of getting high quality scans it doesn't
make sense to use a print service limited to only 1050 x 1470 pixels.

Scott

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
> professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
> (during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
> quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
> but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
>
> It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
> SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
> meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
> good!
>
> The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
> I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
> Have I wasted my money?!
>
> I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
> original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
> different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
> for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
> the programme????
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, England

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:22:59 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.

I made prints last September of 2272x1704 photos using www.ofoto.com.
Are you sure they've instituted a small limit?

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.

Pete D wrote:

> Any print service that limits the size, I don't want to use.
>
> <denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
> > professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
> > (during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
> > quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
> > but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
> >
> > It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
> > SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
> > meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
> > good!
> >
> > The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
> > upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
> > Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.

sounds like minimum size.
not to me. I send them much larger files.

> > I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
> > good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
> > Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
> >
> > Have I wasted my money?!
> >
> > I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
> > original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
> > different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
> > for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
> > the programme????
> >
> > Denis Boisclair
> > Cheshire, England

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:11:19 PM

On 1 Feb 2005 23:56:53 -0800, denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
>good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
>Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
>Have I wasted my money?!

If you paid for the Advanced JPEG compressor, they perhaps you have... Try
saving in PS, and using the other program, using different settings, and see if
you can see the difference.

If you're going to print them, save them at the highest quality setting unless
filesize is an issue.
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:11:22 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:04:16 -0000, "Scott" <noone@test.com> wrote:

>If you have gone to all the effort of getting high quality scans it doesn't
>make sense to use a print service limited to only 1050 x 1470 pixels.

Good point actually.

To the OP, you're in the uk? I recommend bonusprint.
http://www.bonusprint.co.uk

You need to download a small program, but it's harmless.

I've used them to send prints to my family in the UK from here )Philippines.
I know they accept higher res files, I sent them a 3008 x 2000 one.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:29:24 PM

On 1 Feb 2005 23:56:53 -0800, denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
>upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
>Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.

You wasted money having the prints scanned as tiffs if you are going
to have them printed with a service that limits the filesize to such
small dimensions. Get a better printing service!

jc
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:35:14 AM

You seem to be confusing file dimensions with compression, I would hardly think
that a prining service would have such restricting dimensions. A basic 4x6
should be 1200x1800 @ 300 ppi. I'd check it again, maybe that is the minimum.
Any decent editor should be able to resize your pictures. Irfanview is free and
does a good job of resizing and you can batch the tif to jpeg conversion. Jpeg
compression will effect your file size be keep it to the best quality for
printing.

Tom

In article <1107331013.267198.218560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk says...

>I have just received a batch of scans from slides made by a
>professional film scanning company: these slides were shot in 1966
>(during our honeymoon in Germany....)and I'm very impressed with the
>quality of the scans - which are in tiff format: most had a blue cast
>but this was easily corrected in Photoshop.
>
>It was heartening that although these photos were taken with an early
>SLR (Pentax S1a if I remember correctly) which had no built in exposure
>meter or rangefinder, the quality of focusing and exposure was pretty
>good!
>
>The tiff images responded well to editng in Photoshop and now I wish to
>upload them to Ofoto for printing: this requires converting to jpeg -
>Ofoto stipulate a maximum size of 1050 x 1470 pixels.
>
>I have downloaded the programme 'Advanced JPEG Compressor'which looks
>good - but it suddenly occurred to me that when saving files in
>Photoshop there is a choice of formats to switch to - including jpeg.
>
>Have I wasted my money?!
>
>I do like the facility in Advanced JPEG Compressor' for seeing the
>original image alongside the converted version and seeing the effect of
>different levels of jpeg compression, together with other facilities
>for improvement to the jpeg image: perhaps this justifies the buying of
>the programme????
>
>Denis Boisclair
>Cheshire, England

February 3, 2005 9:17:22 AM

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post regarding tiff
conversion to jpeg, and file sizes for printing.

Yes - it does look as though I was too hasty in buying a programme for
converting file formats - when Photoshop does it free!

So far as Ofoto is concerned they sent me the following information:-

" for the best results, please use the following image dimensions:
4 x 6 inches (10 x 15 cm) print = 840 x 1260 pixels
5 x 7 inches (13 x 18 cm) print = 1050 x 1470 pixels
6 x 8 inches (15 x 20 cm) print = 1260 x 1680 pixels
8 x 10 inches (20 x 25 cm) print = 1680 x 2100 pixels
8 x 12 inches (20 x 30 cm) print = 1680 x 2520 pixels
2 x 3 inches (5 x 8 cm), 4 to a sheet = 420 x 630 pixels"

I clearly misunderstood their point - the dimensions they quote are the
minimum required for the best results - larger sizes are NOT excluded!

The prints I have been receiving from Ofoto are excellent - I sent them
another batch yesterday - a few hours later I had an email saying they
were on their way!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, England
!