Sign in with
Your question

Mini HDMI output better quality than DVI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2010 2:56:25 AM

So I'm going to get the GTX 580 very soon and realized that it has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI input. Is the HDMI better quality than the DVI? Does 1 have any advantages over the other?

Thanks for any help.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 3:01:03 AM

Well, supposedly HDMI should 'look' better than DVI, but on a computer screen playing computer games, there's really not much difference. You can carry sound through the HDMI cable whereas you cannot with a DVI AFAIK. I've been out of the loop for too long.
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:08:49 AM

Well the thing is, I have my computer hooked up to a 42'' HDTV. So any type of small change will be multiplied by a decent amount.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 3:29:33 AM

try both and let us know the difference. lol. I've personally never hooked up a dvi, and then an hdmi from the same source to the same screen to compare. Interested though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 3:32:50 AM

"DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box."

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.ht...

Should be no difference, although sometimes it seems like HDMI has more setup issues, however ignoring that they should look identical.
m
l
January 10, 2012 2:57:24 PM

xhexstrom said:
So I'm going to get the GTX 580 very soon and realized that it has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI input. Is the HDMI better quality than the DVI? Does 1 have any advantages over the other?

Thanks for any help.

Be aware that many HDMI TVs don't have the DV interface. I'm in that situation currently. I have a video card that is DVI only (no HDMI output). My HDMI TV only has the 15pin RGB input, so I have to convert from DVI to RGB, thus voiding the DVI all together. Luckily I have a new 570GTX on the way and will be using the mini HDMI from PC to TV. Maybe your TV has the DVI input. Mine (and many others) do not. Good luck!

(oh, yeah, my video games still look great on my TV even with the RGB cable. As good as these HDMI televisions are, high end PC monitors are better and offer much higher resolutions that are capitalized on by high end video cards. But I prefer the bigger screen!)
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:05:53 AM

garythemessage said:
I have a video card that is DVI only (no HDMI output). My HDMI TV only has the 15pin RGB input, so I have to convert from DVI to RGB, thus voiding the DVI all together.

I dont think any HDMI TVs have the DV interface .. that i have ever seen ... they only need the HDMI socket ..
They all have HDMI interfaces .. which makes sense .. being HDMI TVs ...

You use a standard DVI to HMDI lead .... and plug your PC (DVI port) directly into your HDMI TV (HMDI Port) ..

Its a straight forward connection ...
m
l
!