Palit 8800gt or sparkle 8800 gt??

which card would you recommend for me?
rate 1 to 5...5 as the highest...
i read reviews that the palit's fan and temp sensors arent working properly...
there are chances that you can get a bad card but its fan is i think better than the sparkle..

Should i take the risk and buy a palit or go with sparkle??
33 answers Last reply
More about palit 8800gt sparkle 8800
  1. You can always get a bad card... I suggest the Palit version.
    The 8800 GT is quite an old card. Do you have any other options?
  2. the ati radeon hd 4870...i mentioned it on my other thread....
    how much faster is 4870 compared to 8800 gt
  3. It is faster. According to tomshardware GPU Hierarchy Chart, it is 2 tiers higher. That is quite a difference. But if don't want to buy ATI, I don't blame you :)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,review-32039-7.html
  4. Sparkle is (was) known for High quality PSU's some time ago now I see palit is comming up with some nice stuff lately. PS get the 4870 its a much better card
  5. What's your budget? Any change you can afford a GTS450 or 5770? I would not spend money on the 8800GT right now, it's simply too old.
  6. ^^I agree with Herr_Koos here. Even if you get the HD4870 is still old tech. I would say the HD5770 is something equal to the HD4870 in performance and is one of the latest one out there in that range of performance, so get that.
  7. can someone give me a a chart of the 8800 gt and 4870 on crysis so i can decide which is better....thnx
  8. wow nice site....thnx hell_storm2004...PS 8800 gt got OWNED...
  9. i just went on my local shop, they only have the ddr3 version of the 4870 should i go for it..and also i need a new psu....any recommendations??
  10. Couldn't you get the HD 5770?
  11. i think 4870 is faster than 5870..
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/172?vs=176
    i dont care about the power consumption.
    i just want a powerful card
  12. jMvillszz said:
    is hd 5770 faster than hd 4870??

Its slightly slower, but much more efficient compared to the HD 4870 considering power consumption and temperatures.
  13. You should care about the power consumption, seeing as you need a new PSU.
  14. jMvillszz said:
    i think 4870 is faster than 5870..
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/172?vs=176
    i dont care about the power consumption.
    i just want a powerful card

But you have to consider how powerful a card your PSU can handle.
  15. ok..you like the efficient cards i like powerful cards..
    going back to my question...
    how is a 4870 ddr3 different in a 4870 ddr5 in terms of fps
  16. Not much I'd say.BTW does a GDDR3 version of the 4870 even exist?I thought that there are only GDDR5 4870s.
  17. Get the 6850 then. Best of both worlds; faster than the 4870 and 5770 but more power-efficient than the 4870.
  18. palit > sparkle... sparkle graphics cards leave somethign to be desired. mos tthe ones peopel have nought wanting me to help them build machines end up DOA or don't make it beyond a few months (though aparently thier rma process is fairly easy if thats a plus to ya )

palit does make very good cards I'd definatly go palit
  19. dont listen to these hypocrites,buy what you want?because if you dont want to buy ati,why they force you,simply get 8800gt,and age doesnot matters everytime.8800gt can still max out everygame at a low resolution,get 8800gt,but dont even think to spend more than $80,if you do,it would be a decieve.get hd 5670 better in performance and dx11,bang for buck,but once again ati!!!
  20. Till now i haven't seen a concrete budget mentioned by the OP or what config he has!

@OP: Could you please provide the above details?
  21. mrjericho1991 by low you mean 640x420??
  22. There are no DDR3 4870s. If it has DDR3, its a 4850. The cards have the same insides, but the 4850 has DDR3 while the 4870 has DDR5. Even if you buy a 4850, its still faster then the 8800GT. The 4850 is like the GTS250, otherwise known as the 9800GTX+.
  23. i see...so i may have mistaken the 5 in ddr5 as 3...i try going back to the shop.......
    ohh and is it a good idea to go for a 4870 1 gb or a 8800 gt palit or should i go for a much faster card..
  24. Again, as its been asked, what budget do you have? Are you in the USA? What cards are at this shop that you can afford. It does us no good to give newegg links or suggest the ??? if your in africa and/or your shop doesn't carry it.
  25. cant you answer my question "ohh and is it a good idea to go for a 4870 1 gb or a 8800 gt palit"??ps im from the philippines..
    cuz there a price difference between the 2....i think the 8800 gt is half the price of the 4870
  26. If it's half the price, get the 8800 GT.
  27. Quote:
    cant you answer my question

Not really. Its hard to suggest a card for you to buy when we have no budget, available cards, system specs (including PSU), games you like to play, etc. So far we know you live in the philippines, are looking at some 8800GTs and perhaps some odd 4870 (more like a 4850) and will need a new PSU. We don't even know what resolution you play at.

If you only care about powerful cards, I suggest the GTX580.
  28. no i meant 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024.
  29. yo smart guy READ THIS!!!!

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 Graphics Specifications

* 956 million transistors on 55nm fabrication process
    * PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
    * 256-bit GDDR3/4/5 memory interface (espicially this part!!!!)
    * Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support
    o Shader Model 4.1
    o 32-bit floating point texture filtering
    o Indexed cube map arrays
    o Independent blend modes per render target
    o Pixel coverage sample masking
    o Read/write multi-sample surfaces with shaders
    o Gather4 texture fetching
    * Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
    o 800 stream processing units
    + Dynamic load balancing and resource allocation for vertex, geometry, and pixel shaders
    + Common instruction set and texture unit access supported for all types of shaders
    + Dedicated branch execution units and texture address processors
    o 128-bit floating point precision for all operations
    o Command processor for reduced CPU overhead
    o Shader instruction and constant caches
    o Up to 160 texture fetches per clock cycle
    o Up to 128 textures per pixel
    o Fully associative multi-level texture cache design
    o DXTC and 3Dc+ texture compression
    o High resolution texture support (up to 8192 x 8192)
    o Fully associative texture Z/stencil cache designs
    o Double-sided hierarchical Z/stencil buffer
    o Re-Z, and Z Range optimization
    o Lossless Z & stencil compression (up to 128:1)
    o Lossless color compression (up to 8:1)
    o Up to 8 render targets (MRTs) with anti-aliasing
    o Accelerated physics processing
    * Dynamic Geometry Acceleration
    o High performance vertex cache
    o Programmable tessellation unit
    o Accelerated geometry shader path for geometry amplification
    o Memory read/write cache for improved stream output performance
    * Anti-aliasing features
    o Multi-sample anti-aliasing (2, 4, or 8 samples per pixel)
    o Up to 24x Custom Filter Anti-Aliasing (CFAA) for improved quality
    o Adaptive super-sampling and multi-sampling
    o Gamma correct
    o Super AA (ATI CrossFireX™ configurations only)
    o All anti-aliasing features compatible with HDR rendering
    * Texture filtering features
    o 2x/4x/8x/16x high quality adaptive anisotropic filtering modes (up to 128 taps per pixel)
    o 128-bit floating point HDR texture filtering
    o sRGB filtering (gamma/degamma)
    o Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF)
    o Depth & stencil texture (DST) format support
    o Shared exponent HDR (RGBE 9:9:9:5) texture format support
    * OpenGL 3.2 support
    * ATI Avivo™ HD Video and Display Platform6
    o Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) for H.264/AVC, VC-1, and MPEG-2 video formats
    + High definition (HD) playback of Blu-ray and HD DVD video
    + Dual stream (HD+SD) playback support
    + DirectX Video Acceleration 1.0 & 2.0 support
    + Support for BD-Live certified applications
    o Hardware DivX and MPEG-1 video decode acceleration
    o Accelerated video transcoding & encoding for H.264 and MPEG-2 formats
    o ATI Avivo Video Post Processor6
    + Color space conversion
    + Chroma subsampling format conversion
    + Horizontal and vertical scaling
    + Gamma correction
    + Advanced vector adaptive per-pixel de-interlacing
    + De-blocking and noise reduction filtering
    + Detail enhancement
    + Color vibrance and flesh tone correction
    + Inverse telecine (2:2 and 3:2 pull-down correction)
    + Bad edit correction
    + Enhanced DVD upscaling (SD to HD)
    + Automatic dynamic contrast adjustment
    o Two independent display controllers
    + Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display
    + Full 30-bit display processing
    + Programmable piecewise linear gamma correction, color correction, and color space conversion
    + Spatial/temporal dithering provides 30-bit color quality on 24-bit and 18-bit displays
    + High quality pre- and post-scaling engines, with underscan support for all display outputs
    + Content-adaptive de-flicker filtering for interlaced displays
    + Fast, glitch-free mode switching
    + Hardware cursor
    o Two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs
    + Each supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
    + Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3
    o Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
    + Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x15362
    o DisplayPort output support
    + 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
    o HDMI output support
    + All display resolutions up to 1920x10802
    + Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI
    o Integrated AMD Xilleon™ HDTV encoder
    + Provides high quality analog TV output (component/S-video/composite)
    + Supports SDTV and HDTV resolutions
    + Underscan and overscan compensation
    o Seamless integration of pixel shaders with video in real time
    o VGA mode support on all display outputs
    * ATI PowerPlay™ Technology5
    o Advanced power management technology for optimal performance and power savings
    o Performance-on-Demand
    + Clock and memory speed throttling
    + Voltage switching
    + Dynamic clock gating
    + Central thermal management – on-chip sensor monitors GPU temperature and triggers thermal actions as required
    o ATI CrossFireX™ Multi-GPU Technology
    + Scale up rendering performance and image quality with two, three, or four GPUs
    + Integrated compositing engine
    + High performance dual channel bridge interconnect1

do you still think theres no 4870 ddr3?

You should try reading, it's great..
  30. 4745454b said:
    Quote:
    cant you answer my question

Not really. Its hard to suggest a card for you to buy when we have no budget, available cards, system specs (including PSU), games you like to play, etc. So far we know you live in the philippines, are looking at some 8800GTs and perhaps some odd 4870 (more like a 4850) and will need a new PSU. We don't even know what resolution you play at.

If you only care about powerful cards, I suggest the GTX580.

Cruel, but true, I suppose.

jMvillszz, we need to know how much money you are willing to spend, what screen resolution you game at, and which games you want to play. Without that information, we cannot help you.
  31. I think the OP is too busy basking in the glory of the above post so much so that he hasn't provided any details which may help us help him!

@OP: The GDDR3 version was mainly made for laptops, i think, not for desktops. Although this is debatable. I am not quite sure for what the GDDR4 cards are for. Never seen them marketed that much!
  32. If you don't want my help, just say so. I'll help those who want it. This will be my last reply to this thread (or at least to you).

BTW, just because someone makes it doesn't mean thats what it is. Sapphire first came to my attention because they were selling 9800pro's. Nothing odd about that, but they only had a 128bit memory bus instead of the spec required 256bit bus. This halved the memory bandwidth, and limited performance. ATI came down on them hard. Just because the box says 4870 (or 9800pro) doesn't mean it conforms to the official specs.

Good day sir, I hope you enjoy whatever card you finally end up buying.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Reviews Fan Palit Graphics