Sign in with
Your question

How does pci-e 16x work with 1 card?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2012 7:30:55 AM

hey guys, here is a detailed picture of my motherboard
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/LineImage/2/3880/485...

I am a little confused as it stated on this schematic that all slots are 16 x pcie 2.0. Am I to understand that the slots will only start running at
etc

when more than one card is installed? and until that point all slots act as 16x?

Its just I am contemplating moving my card from near the top, to the closer to the bottom of my case as I feel that heat from cpu and gpu are contributing to each others total temps.
Does this make sense or am I looking at it the wrong way?

heres my specs
gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud7
bulldozer fx running at 4.1ghz on zaalman 9700 heatsink
sapphire 6970
Will moving the card make a noticeable difference to the temperatures?
Thanks everybody
As a side note, I intend to either upgrade to 7970 very soon or go for a second 6970

More about : pci 16x work card

a c 107 V Motherboard
January 15, 2012 7:55:33 AM

(Note 3) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

(Note 4) The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot and the PCIEX8_2 slot with PCIEX16_2. The PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode when the PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2 is populated.
This is from your motherboard manual.
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2012 8:03:25 AM

Just the first 2 slots are 16X for video purposes. You can run X-fire with any of those slots but the MB may have it's own ideas on which slots you can use. Just by looking at your current video card you should be able to tell how many slots it will take up. Looks like the fans might crowd out the third slot from the installed slot.
Related resources
January 15, 2012 8:32:21 AM

Ah, Thanks man, I didnt even see that!
cheers guys
December 10, 2012 1:35:46 AM

Bringing the thread back to life with another quick question...am installing a Radeon 6970 on this board. It's a very long card, and in the 16X_1 slot, it conflicts with a hdd cooler, meaning that I will have to disassemble a ton of stuff to move things around to make it fit. Can I just install my single card in the 16X_2 slot and have things work properly (and at full 16X)? Anyone know any reason why this would be a problem?

Thanks!
December 10, 2012 10:53:02 AM

Hey mate, I never had any issues when I did that. It is recommended to use slot 1 but I had tried it in different slots and ran benchmarks and stability tests etc, I noticed no issues whatsoever and no difference in terms of performance.

Hope that helps
December 10, 2012 2:12:02 PM

Thanks, it does. I decided to just go for it last night (complicated build, didn't want to move half my components just to satisfy the first slot, so I figured it was worth a try) and it's running flawlessly. I'm running Win8 64-bit, pulled down GPU-Z and confirmed that it's running @ 16X. So, all is well. Oh, and I can testify that the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 with a Piledriver 8350 is smokin' fast. :-)

So, on this series of mobos at least, the second 16X slot will run full lanes with just one card. Good to know.
!