Feedback for my Web Development Workstation Build

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Use case:

- As a Web Development Workstation, some gaming if there are any I like (gaming not so important)
- Run LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
- Others: FTP, Node.js (Server Side JS), Cloud9 IDE, Virtual PCs (Virtual Box)
- Photoshop/GIMP, Illustrator/InkScape, Blender
- In the future: Python, Ruby on Rails

Considerations:

- Power Efficiency: I like to be Environmentally Friendly & save on Electricity Bills at the same time
- Performance: Of course! In this case, Virtual Box will be most resource intensive I suppose

My Build:

- Intel Core i5 2400 (Or perpaps a i3 2100 will be more value for money? No Virtualization Tech for Directed IO VT-d (Will Virtual Box benefit much from it)?)
- Asus H57M-Pro
- 8GB Kingston DDR3 (2x4GB) (Is PC3 10600/1333 CL9 a Dual Channel DDR3 RAM? With the above motherboard, is this the correct RAM?)
- Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA3 (Would SSD be worth it? I am thinking perhaps RAID 1 or 5 will give me performance close to SSD + more storage?)
- Cooler Master Elite 371 (Case)
- OCZ Z Series 550W (does not appear to be on OCZ website anymore?)
- Samsung S24A350H (LED/LCD)
- Creative T12 (Speakers)

Aside:

I am thinking I will have a similar build if I want 1 for my home too, except it will look like below

- Intel Core i5 2400
- Asus H57M-Pro
+ 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz (2x4GB)
+ 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA3
- Cooler Master Elite 371 (Case)
- Cooler Master GX550 (PSU)
+ Samsung S24A350H (LED/LCD)
+ Creative T12 (Speakers)

Diff is marked by + and removed CPU Cooler, Case Fan

For home use, in addition to the use cases above, I will use

- Notepad++, NetBeans, Aptana Studio, maybe Visual Studio (Development IDEs)
- Photoshop/Illustrator or GIMP/Inkscape/Blender
- I will only access from LAN at most

Also I may get a GPU in future

What do you think about my build? Anything I should change etc?

Hi.

1- For those programs you need HT, so, the i7-2600K is a better option I think.
2- I can't find the mobo that you say, but the "M" at the end say me that it's a m-ATX mobo and you can have problems in future for add more RAM.
3- You can find better options like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_re=ripjaws_8gb-_-20-231-428-_-Product
4- Those are Green drives, that doesn't perform very well and you need that your drives perform without problems. A RAID array can't perform close to an SSD, not matter the number of drives that you use. Change it for Black edition.
5- I suggest you go with a better case, you will need good airflow for your rig and more if you add a GPU in future. I'd go with this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197&cm_re=HAF_922-_-11-119-197-_-Product
6- I suggest you go with a better brand, check this XFX 650W PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207007&cm_re=XFX_650W-_-17-207-007-_-Product it's very good for good price and gives you the possibility to add future components without power problems.
7- Monitor and speakers looks good IMO.

My recommendations goes for both, work and home rigs.