Sign in with
Your question

Question about Bitspower X-Station Multi-PSU Active Module

Last response: in Components
May 13, 2011 3:24:57 PM

Hi All,

I have 3 simple questions about the Bitspower X-Station Multi-PSU Active Module.

I am building a system and I want to use 2 PSUs to split the power load. I have found that many suppliers sell the Bitspower X-Station Multi-PSU Active Module but NOONE seems to have any insight on how the thing hooks up. The Bitspower web site shows you a lot of pretty pictures but there is no link to the instructions and my internet search for any info has turned up zero results. A lot of peolpe use these things so hopefully someone out there can help me.

So, the first question is has anyone out there used one of these things?

Second, how does it connect? I assume there has to be some connector from the unit to the MOBO and then the PSUs plug into the unit.

Third, are you happy with it?

Yep, I'm one of those folks who like to research a solution before I spend my hard earned $.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!
a c 1200 ) Power supply
May 15, 2011 9:45:24 PM

I think the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module is more fitting of your needs. It occupies less space.

It has three 24-pin ATX power connectors wired in parallel.

The included Dual 20+4PIN PSU Extension Cable 60CM is used to connect the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module, using any one of the three 24-pin ATX power connectors, to the motherboard's 24-pin ATX power connector. The other two 24-pin ATX power connectors on the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module would be connected to each power supply unit's 24-pin ATX power connector.

This device just saves you from having to splice together any wires to get the two power supplies to turn on simultaneously.
m
l
May 15, 2011 11:23:06 PM

ko888 said:
I think the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module is more fitting of your needs. It occupies less space.

It has three 24-pin ATX power connectors wired in parallel.

The included Dual 20+4PIN PSU Extension Cable 60CM is used to connect the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module, using any one of the three 24-pin ATX power connectors, to the motherboard's 24-pin ATX power connector. The other two 24-pin ATX power connectors on the X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module would be connected to each power supply unit's 24-pin ATX power connector.

This device just saves you from having to splice together any wires to get the two power supplies to turn on simultaneously.

OK, COOL! THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

I don't mean to sound stupid but how do you know which PSU is actually powering the MOBO @ the 24 pin connection? Does it even matter? That's the real mystery here. This thing just looks like PFM and I really need it to work. I'm using 2 PSUs of different wattage, 1 Silverstone Strider 1200 and 1 Silverstone Strider 500.

Again, thanks for the info. I really believe it will work. I saw the 'Mini' version this am and ordered one on faith.

FYI, space is not much of a concern, this is all going into a MM Extended Ascension case.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2011 2:21:57 PM

OK, if anybody out there is planning on buying one of these things DON'T.

They don't work. As I said in my previous post I went ahead and purchased one of these and can't get it to work no matter what I do. I have attached it every way I can think of and no joy. I tried this with the PSUs I noted in my previous post and then with 2 Strider 1000s. I did find out that if you put the jumper cable in the middle the PSUs will come on briefly and immediately shut off.

I have no idea why they don't work. When connected the way ko888 described (or any way you try) the PSUs will come on but the MOBO (Rampage III Extreme) won't POST, it won't even try. If you connect them normally and then use the 'short circuit' method on the second PSU (put a jumper on the green and black wire of the 24 pin MOBO plug) everything works fine, as you would expect.

Bitspower Tech Support is NONEXISTANT! You can only contact them by email and they NEVER reply. FrozenCPU provided me with a contact for support (vincent@bitspower.com) and no reply after 2 emails describing the situation and waiting 2 days, not even and automated reply.

I wanted this thing because I thought it would look better in the build that any of the available jumper cables:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/modright-cableright-dual...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

All of these will work but look like s*^#. So I built my own sleeved cable with a 24 pin ATX cable from an old burnt out PSU and parts I keep on hand for making sleeved ATX extension cables.

In any event I will be contacting FrozenCPU to RMA this thing and will just eat the restock fee and shipping.

m
l
May 21, 2011 6:15:06 PM

A final note on this issue.
After FrozenCPU got involved I finally got an answer from Bitspower.
It turns out there are three types of these units:

1. The original
2. The MINI Type 'A'
3. The MINI Type 'B'

It turns out I have the wrong unit, I need the 'MINI Type B', it is specifically built for the newer, high end PSUs.

The unit that was shipped to me was the original and not the MINI, they aren't for sale yet. I am waiting to see what FrozenCPU can do. Who knows, this could work out.

For more info: http://www.bitspower.com.tw/index.php?main_page=product...
m
l
August 6, 2011 7:05:32 AM

I had the same issue with the powersupplies it feels so refreashing and angering to see someone out there going through the same thing like I did. When I looked a year ago for info I was just out of luck this post must have been sometime after that. I can't begin to explain how many 20 and 40 doller bills I have lost like that in the last few years this item I believe was like 20 or 40 dollers when I bought it. Same Item! So I guess I must have the "original" X-station. I too! have seen examples of these things cleary in computers. the leds lights came on for me but I was using different size,brand power supplies. I remember hooking it up to my Ud9 mainboard that was not cheap at the time.
Nothing happened tried all the different combos still nothing. But I had also bought a jumper adapter too with that order. I got my computer to work after that.
Truthfully though I would like to talk about the more advanced version of what this guy spoke of because it's the end result like everyone else that I am interested in.
Running tandem powersupplies same brand, same power, same model how do computer techs do that. I have 2 powersupplies right now; one handles the cpu & mainboard antec 700 the other handles graphics, and everything else 1600watt ultra. Ok so forget the name they run just fine together and have been for some time now, but I am changing them both out. Anyway point is the combinations that I can come up with are:
1. first psu handles mainboard cpu, second handles graphics and everything else
2. first psu handles cpu mainboard graphics, second handles everything else.
and so on splitting the load in different combos,but
if I hook up the mainboard cpu PSU to the first graphics card I cannot hook the second psu up to the graphics card because of some unknown value to me.
Thats all I want in the end is to hook up two psu's in tandem on one computer same brand psu's and split the load between the two among the pci express lanes to be exact; so that I can have twice the 12volt rail power going to the cards. If anyone can answer question I think it would just round it up for everyone that forgot that did not want to write a paragraph and a half about the real question here. Please splitting the power load between two power supplies on the pci express lane I.E. one graphic card getting power from power supply and graphic card two getting the power from powersupply two? That is my question. I have seen it done on youtube some person truby computer builds or something like that. It was a sr2 evga mainboard with two muskin 700watt psu's now those are a psu with a four count of six or eight pin connecters with a max of 18amp per connector. Two power supplies and running four 480gtx graphic cards. So out of the lack of connections alone from a single muskin they would have had to have had to split the load among the pci express lane how can I do that? split the load on the pci express lane between two power supplies.
If there is an easy way to do that it needs to be brought to everyones attention because there is a strong following for novice and so on of people that would buy more computer and parts and everyone makes money and end user is happy.
At this point I would be led to believe it has to do with people and lack of experience of working with the main part of electricity that no one devulges the answer to that question,or that there are fcc or safty regulation to where no one can directly give info on this question.
So Me myself I don't have a problem getting breakers installed and plugs refitting and electric handling characteristics redone in my home. So please If someone could help with that question It would be very very helpful. Thank you for reading this and happy computer building. thanks
m
l
August 6, 2011 12:15:06 PM

I think you might want to ask this question in the GPU forums. A quick Google search got me to the following thread that answers some of your questions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/he61u/in_a_sy...

From personal experience I don't think there is any problem using 2 PSUs to power multiple vid cards as long as the PSUs start at the same time. However........

I'm not sure how you would split up the PCIe slots on a MOBO. There are some MOBOs that have a power connection for the PCIe rails (Rampage III Extreme has 2 MOLEX plugs and the MSI Big Bang X-Power has 1 6 pin PCIe). I suppose you could power these from different PSU's but I'm not sure why you would need to. Unless I'm really confused the main power for high end GPUs (that is any GPU with a PCIe plug on the card) comes from the PCIe plug on the card and is supplimented by the power from the rails. In other words if the GPU requires a boat-load of power for over clocking and rendering it gets it from the PCIe plug on the card and not from the rails, I could be wrong.

I have done something similar to what you talk about but I used one PSU to power the MOBO and the other to power 2 5870s. I used a home made jumper to start both PSUs and had no trouble. This system used a Gigabyte GA-X58A UD3R MOBO and I didn't run it in this config for long, I was using a Silverstone 1000w PSU and simply didn't need the extra PSU.

I know this doesn't answer your questions and I'm no expert on the subject but I think you might get better help if you start a thread in the GPU forums and see what happens.

Good Luck!
m
l
!