Sign in with
Your question

ATIKMPAG.SYS BSOD, Why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2010 9:46:56 AM

Hello good people of TH, I'm back with another problem which seems to be related to ATI/AMD :pfff: 

So it all started a few days ago when 3DMark11 came out, I downloaded it and decided to run the benchmark with both my HD5850's at 1000/1200 @ 1.275V, The benchmark finished and there was peace in the world but I forgot to print screen the results :fou: 

So I re-ran the benchmark but this time received a BSOD :(  I then tried 980/1200 @ 1.299V but received another BSOD. I then tried 950/1150 @ 1.299V and received yet another BSOD.....

The next day I decided to play around with the Metro 2033 Benchmark, I first ran it with both cards at stock and it ran perfectly, I then tried 775/1125 @ stock volts but got another BSOD, Which is very strange as I know both cards are stable on stock volts upto 910/1220...

Oh BTW all these BSOD's have ATIKMPAG.SYS which I believe is related to the ATI Driver

It was suggested to me by a friend that I should check that my CPU overclock is stable, So I Ran OCCT @ my usual 4Ghz and 1.32500V, This produced a BSOD after about 25 minutes :heink:  I then ran it at 3.8Ghz with 1.32500V and received yet another BSOD this time after about 5 minutes...
Yesturday I ran OCCT for almost 7 Hours at 3.6Ghz and 1.32500V (1.294V in windows under load)

However during this OCCT run at about 6 hours the ATI driver stopped responding but then recovered... and 15 minutes after that MSN stopped responding, but also recovered.....

This morning I booted up my PC and after about 10 minutes of browsing the web I received a BSOD (fml) still containing the ATIKMPAG.SYS, I then reset my CPU overclock back to stock and rebooted but my PC wouldn't post... I pressed the restart button and it posted this time giving me a warning about my overclock not being stable (at stock??? :heink:  ) Oh BTW I put my RAM to its rated timings/voltage/speed when I reset my CPU's Overclock.

I haven't had a BSOD since resetting my CPU back to stock (lucky me)

I've done some research and this is what could cause a BSOD with ATIKMPAG.SYS:
* Insufficient power
* bad Memory module
* OverClocking
* Motherboard/Memory Compatibility
* Overheating
* Defective Motherboard
* Wrong Drivers
* Bad PCI-E Slot

Sorry about the ridiculously long post... :pt1cable:  All help will be rewarded with a ;)  :lol: 

More about : atikmpag sys bsod

December 13, 2010 9:57:19 AM

Maybe 3D Mark 11 was too difficult for the 5850s to handle. :) 
I would try running each of those card separately and also trying out different slots.

December 13, 2010 10:39:30 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Maybe 3D Mark 11 was too difficult for the 5850s to handle. :) 
I would try running each of those card separately and also trying out different slots.

The 5850's managed to run it once at 1000/1200 @ 1.275V but failed at a lower overclock with more volts...Which doesn't seem logical at all.

3DMark11 won't push my cards any harder than any other benchmark or game that pushes my cards to 100%

It would be a real PITA to run the cards in different slots as both are watercooled and so would involve draining my waterloop, changing the cards position and then leak testing for atleast 8 hours. ;) 
Related resources
December 13, 2010 11:23:02 AM

Does your card run fine at stock speeds ?
December 13, 2010 11:29:51 AM

Maziar said:
Does your card run fine at stock speeds ?

Don't know, I've had BSODs when both cards have been at stock but i'm unsure whether this was caused by a unstable CPU or by the cards or the ATI/AMD Driver.

EDIT: I haven't had a BSOD since I reest my CPU back to stock which would suggest the CPU has been causing the BSODs, but the BSOD always Contains ATIKMPAG.SYS which is ati driver related/
December 14, 2010 8:47:45 AM

Rustyy117 said:
The 5850's managed to run it once at 1000/1200 @ 1.275V but failed at a lower overclock with more volts...Which doesn't seem logical at all.

3DMark11 won't push my cards any harder than any other benchmark or game that pushes my cards to 100%

It would be a real PITA to run the cards in different slots as both are watercooled and so would involve draining my waterloop, changing the cards position and then leak testing for atleast 8 hours. ;) 

Hmmm.....

Are you sure that your water cooling is working properly?
December 14, 2010 11:58:51 AM

I'm thinking its more to do with my CPU not being stable, Can't even get into windows at 3.4Ghz anymore.... I've created a new thread in the Overclocking section about this.

And yes my watercooling works fine, CPU didn't go over 57C under OCCT @ 4Ghz with 1.32500V and my cards stay under 34C under load.
!