Newegg vs Amazon

RussK1

Splendid
Don't know if this is the right thread but I just want to vent some frustration with Newegg...

I've been buying from Newegg for a while now and only until recently I've encountered numerous problems. For instance, putting my purchase on hold do to a difference in billing phone numbers when in fact there is no discrepancy. I call the bank and they confirm everything is kosher. And the fact it's taking them longer and longer to process a simple order... Thought maybe it was an anomaly but with my latest fiasco (tried to order a CPU and HDD) I've decided to purchase from Amazon. Don't know how well Amazon is so any feedback would be great. It's not like Newegg was cheaper as what I purchased was the same price, so what is Newegg doing. I don't think I'm the only having this problem but it seems they're chewing their own arms off and committing suicide. Has there growth, in essence, gone to their heads(?)...

Thanks,

Russ

Solution
Thank you for selecting me as Best Answer

It ended up that Amazon had a glitch and the name on the card was mispelled
it didnt show up in the billing address
it was just on the place order screen

So they tried to put it in a bunch of times
and the fraud security of the card was set off
so the card was temp frozen
the next day I called and got the card active again
and Newegg had the same card for 5 dollars cheaper
I ordered monday night and got it friday afternoon

I will say that Amazon reps worked their butts off trying to help me
it was an unfortunate computer glitch
so I would shop there again

I went with Newegg because of the fact their customer service
knows more about computer tech than somebody at Amazon
but I definitley...

RussK1

Splendid

over all i will look at amazon but often i will only use it if it recommends a reputable seller. like ocuk, ebuyer or similar. im not entirely sure but i dont think newegg export to the uk. even if they do there prices aren't that attractive 1s you add vat and import charges. even with the cashback bonuses, which i think is a great idea...

RussK1

Splendid

I wouldn't say that... I've never done business with them so it would a bit premature to say that I like Amazon esp. when they have access to $400 of mine. A little uneasy to tell you the truth.

RussK1

Splendid

I'm in the U.S. and for some reason I'm always in the forums with folks from U.K. and Ireland. It's alright though because you guys are great just wish most Americans were as respectful. But back onto the subject, what I wanted is already being shipped and from what I gather it's coming from Amazon... that should be good right?

"just wish most Americans were as respectful."

Hey I am American
Hey Yo what da Fcuk, Yo!
Youse aint saying I am Fcuking disrespectiful are youse?!

:) ROFL LMAO :)

I do notice there is a higher level of politeness across the world
compared to USA on the forums

Too many young rich kids too arrogant too know any better
When mommy and daddy buy you everything
Nothing is valuable to you

Amazon has been great to me buy the way
Also Ebay is good if you are careful

RussK1

Splendid

That had me laughing... yeah my fiance' swears by ebay but I've noticed a lot of items are overpriced and/or used. When it comes to processors and the like I'd like it in a brand new box and pay a reasonable price. Although I did search ebay and found a Xeon going really cheap, it was used and, well, I have a problem with that. Who knows what kind of stress that thing has seen through you know. But yes, if you're careful, one can find some pretty good deals on ebay.

And yes again, you're right as far as our fellow Americans... too much media and spoon feeding. Not a genuine idea comes from their minds (atleast most). It's the whole American phenomena that we're the Big Bad Brother so to speak... it's sickening to be honest. It's no wonder that most of the world actually hates us and I don't blame them.

I am a first born American from Russian immigrants in the 50s
I guess because I was raised in a very Old World kind of way
I think differently from alot of my friends my age

There is a real sense of entitlement in America especially the youth
that has to be gotten rid of or
America is going to have a problem

RussK1

Splendid
eBay is my no.1 preference, all sellers accept returns if the item is found to be faulty (in up to 30 days) some up to 60 days and some even offer 2+ year warranty, although i dont buy all components from eBay, eg mobos are cheaper elsewhere.

and lol i have been on the US forums, just too many fanboys and the occasional im-going-to-get-my-point-across-no-matter-what (even if it means making up facts) people, although i know that most Americans aren't like that. :)

Yeah I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. The majority are actually alright. I just don't understand the Intel fanboys, don't they understand Intel is raping us? I can't wait for the Bulldozer as I will be building a rig around it. Nice thing about AMD, they aren't known for scalping the consumers. Today, Intels got the next best thing so everyone needs to go out and get it, then oops(!), it's next month with the next best thing... man! It's farcical! Don't get me wrong, Intel's stuff is nice, but is the cost to performance ratio worth it? To me, not worth it. Also it's not like they don't sit back and plan all of this, nor is it accidental they come up with newer technology. They purposely drag their consumers along and pick at the pockets perfectly knowing what's coming next week, next month, next year...

RussK1

Splendid

Yeah spoiled rotten little brats. I fully agree.

Back to your thread

I use Ebay for two used CPUs and have been
very pleased

I did look for sellers with 30 day DOA/return policies

CPUs especially server/workstation Xeons are stronger than you
think

How often do you hear about the CPU burning out?

In years of repairing computers I have never had a burnt CPU

And they either work or dont work
There really is no in between with a CPU

It is either going to boot up or not

RussK1

Splendid

That's what I ordered. Xeon's are tough, I just wanted a new one. Next, I'm going to give AMD a try and see what all the Bulldozer hype is about. AMD is saying that it'll outperform Intel's Extreme based cpu's so we'll see. And no, it's not often you hear about a cpu burning out unless someone purposely did it. Hopefully, when I get my Xeon and install it, it'll post. That's the most nerve wracking. We'll see.

Take care,

Russ

Yes but is a great natural rush when it does
Better than any drug

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I like both Newegg and Amazon but I always limit my Amazon searches and purchase to those where Amazon is the seller. I will not purchase from third parties through Amazon.

Newegg has the advantage, IMHO, of having a very good return policy. They've always done well by me when I've had problems--unlike Amazon you can talk to a person on the phone who may actually understand a little about the product you're talking about. (find someone at Amazon who understands "won't post", "bad cap" "video artifact from defective vram. etc."

I've always had good luck with ebay when looking for older parts to play around with--but there I always buy from individual sellers--I hate the storefronts and all the business selling there.

RussK1

Splendid

You know that's the crazy thing... along with the CPU I purchased, I also picked out a Blu-ray drive and picked one day shipping. And it was showing the delivery of 5/17/11. I checked the blu-ray drive and it wasn't coming in until 5/16/11. WTF, I was paying for one day shipping and it's going to take about a week(??). So I went ahead and cancelled the blu-ray order and lo and behold the delivery changed from Tuesday to tomorrow! Initially it said it was in stock then somewhere in between it changed. But they were gonna take my money...

It's like going into best buy and asking about their PVR's or Staples asking about SATA cables... they're like - "HUH?" It's hilarious... One time a geek squad employee came up to me asking how hard it is to change a heatsink or to install liquid cooling... I was like you put them things in the holes and turn. I also told him how I unequivicaly hate those cheap plastic push pins (I really do hate those things). I don't know maybe I'm old school and like the old fashioned screws ya know.

RussK1

Splendid

Don't get me wrong bro, I love Newegg it's just that recently I've nothing but problems. I really don't like resorting to bestbuy but I almost did until I found what I wanted from Amazon (and yes the search engine sucks balls). Honestly, when I lived in Vegas, they had this gigantic CompUSA and I loved that place. It was like walking into a Walmart supercenter filled with nothing but computer parts, accessories and software. Unfortunately, there aren't many, if any for that matter, on the EastCoast. So I'm s.o.l.. Anyhow, I called Newegg to troubleshoot billing and they just shut me down stating they aren't allowed to discuss credit card info over the phone. Honestly I wouldn't have made a big deal out of the already trivial situation but I kinda need the part asap. Just pissed me off a little bit. Usually Neweggs customer support is on par with Crucials. Probably a bad week for me is all.

Bye the way, Love your Avatar. Skeletons of Society is my Fav. although Haunting the Chapel is a close second.