Digital input to an audio card.

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I want to buy the Auzen X-Meridian 2G, though I own a Creative X-Fi Titanium. For gaming purpose I want to use the X-Fi. I that case I decided to take an optical output from the Titanium using DTS Connect and input it to the X-Meridian's optical input and play it directly through the analog output of the card where I am going to connect my speakers.

Now the question is that if I give optical input to the X-Meridian 2G from the X-Fi Titanium using its DTS Connect, will the X-Meridian 2G be able to decode the 5.1 DTS (core) bit stream and play it directly through its analog output through the speakers?
This is just for games and some sound tracks which will sound good using the X-Fi Crystalliser.

Please Help..

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Can somebody please tell me if any audio card can decode Dolby Digital or DTS audio from SPDiF input and play directly through its analog output as 5.1.
I also want to know that the X-Meridian 2G can do it or not.

Is there any special reason for not getting any reply on this thread?

I believe the answer is NO. Most soundcards do NOT have the necessary decoder to decode Dolby/DTS streams.

Secondly, you'd be trying to output using two devices at the same time, which isnt supported in Windows [The Titaniums SPDIF output and the 2G's Analog output]. It doesn't matter that you are trying to loop the signal from one device to another, its still two outputs.

If you REALLY want to keep EAX compatability, you can go with the Auzentech Prelude or Forte over the 2G. If you only need EAX5 [not 3-4], you can give ASUS a shot [they have EAX5 compataility, but its non-official. Works well though].

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Of course it is going to work, if I do it. The X-Fi cards from Creative used to support DD/DTS decoding from SPDiF input in Windows XP and has been dropped in Vista or 7.

The X-Fi Titanium will be the default card in Win7. When I enable the DTS Interactive, it will output DTS 5.1 audio over TOSLink. That is inputed to the X-Meridian 2G, and through its decoder (if present, though there lies the question) it will be set to output through the X-Meridian 2G analog output, where I will connect my speakers.
This decoding feature is there in high end creative Audigy cards also, but only in XP.

Are you sure that X-Meridian does not support DD/DTS decoding from digital input, in Windows 7?
If those cards can then this high end card should be able to, else it would be a shame..

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Yes, what about this link?
I have seen it around a 500 times till now..

I do not understand the complete meaning of a line written in this site--
"External 2channel PCM SPDIF input thru COAX + OPTIC combo connector to real-time monitored encoding output (DDL and DTS Interactive) support"
Does this mean that the card supports 2-channel PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS formats through SPDIF input to playback or record?