Sign in with
Your question

GPU-Z showing two GPU Temp readings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2010 12:47:57 PM

I have a Gigabyte GTX470 SOC and i dont really have any complaints about the card. It works like a charm. What is puzzeling my mind though is the fact that GPU-Z is showing two different temp readings. Can someone plz explain to me what they mean. As you can see on of them is lower than the other.

Thank you!
December 13, 2010 4:31:12 PM

Nobody seriously knows this? I have posted this question on 4 different forums and all i get is views but no answers =S
December 13, 2010 5:47:23 PM

Obvious question but: are you running SLi?
Related resources
a c 390 Î Nvidia
December 13, 2010 6:43:50 PM

I am curious to see if anyone knows the answer as well. GPU-Z shows two GPU temperatures even if you only have one GPU installed.
December 13, 2010 6:47:34 PM

Nope, no SLI. Single card.
a b Î Nvidia
December 13, 2010 7:15:12 PM

lol amateurs :p 
I get 4 different temperature readings from my single 5770

maybe there just are several temp sensors on the chip, in different places...
December 13, 2010 7:25:09 PM

These could refer to temps at crucial locations of your GPU die, such as shader cores, memory controllers, tessellators, etc.
December 13, 2010 7:28:18 PM

As speculated above, these temperatures are for different areas of your graphics card. Some software can better identify those areas by giving you the name and the temp. Others aren't so good, so they just give you the temp with a generic name. And some software don't read the temp or anything except for the GPU core.

For example, I had 4 temps on one of my cards, one for the core, one for the I/O hardware, one for the shader, and one for something else that I don't remember.

Most likely temp #1 is the core, the one you want to focus on. Sometimes the others will be higher, but that is okay, they will stay in a general range of each other.
December 13, 2010 7:29:21 PM

=) thank you guys
December 13, 2010 7:30:35 PM

The only other thing that you sometimes get is if you have dual monitors, some programs will read the temp twice, because they base the read out on the monitor, not the card. It is strange, but I've seen it, with the temps even being 1 or 2 degrees different.
!