Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would Sandy Bridge prices get competitive with upcoming Bulldozer???

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 13, 2011 9:16:25 PM

Would Intel lower the prices or will the Bulldozer prices be higher? Will it get competitive?
a c 117 à CPUs
May 13, 2011 9:24:13 PM

If I had the necessary skills to foresee the future I wouldn't be worrying about that ... I'd be playin' PowerBall.



:D 
May 13, 2011 9:33:37 PM

I'd say no.
Bulldozer will be on par with SB.
Bulldozer will be cheaper than SB for sure.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 9:37:28 PM

abswindows7 said:
I'd say no.
Bulldozer will be on par with SB.
Bulldozer will be cheaper than SB for sure.

I have heard it will be in the same ballpark. The 4 core will be a little lower than $200, the 6 core will be the 2500k price, and the 8 core will be the 2600k price.
May 14, 2011 1:52:37 AM

Bulldozer is basically aimed for gamers. It has a build in GPU alot like SB, and basically the point is to build a better AMD version of SB. It will be faster but Intel is working on Ivy bridge which is supposed to "Faster" but either way one is always gonna win so I don't even bother just buy whats best now.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 3:09:58 AM

I'd say yes, but how much depends on how Bulldozer preforms and how AMD prices it. If it becomes a case of AMD forcing Intel to lower their prices (which hasn't happened since Athlon 64 vs P4) or a case of Intel lowering prices to undercut AMD you won't know till it gets here.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 3:14:04 AM

megamanx00 said:
I'd say yes, but how much depends on how Bulldozer preforms and how AMD prices it. If it becomes a case of AMD forcing Intel to lower their prices (which hasn't happened since Athlon 64 vs P4) or a case of Intel lowering prices to undercut AMD you won't know till it gets here.

I hope they do..But intel is a shrewd business man.So to me no.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 3:14:30 AM

I should add that Intel already prices their CPUs pretty low. There is honestly nothing stopping them from having a higher price on the 2600K. In fact, it would have made sense to price the entire Sandy Bridge lineup higher till they got rid of all the LGA 1156 CPUs. Heck they still have LGA 775 CPUs out there. Just like the 990X, if you want the best you'll pay 1k for the CPU no matter how much you bitch about it. I think they simply are leaving room for LGA 1366 replacement
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 5:47:43 AM

processor-pro said:
Bulldozer is basically aimed for gamers. It has a build in GPU alot like SB, and basically the point is to build a better AMD version of SB. It will be faster but Intel is working on Ivy bridge which is supposed to "Faster" but either way one is always gonna win so I don't even bother just buy whats best now.

BD is supposed to be spot on with SB. It will not necessarily be faster, and if it is by a little, not by as much as you say. It isn't even out, so don't say things like they are fact. Please, if you are going to be here, don't act like you know something when you don't. Also, games only accept up to 4 threads, which means the most you are going to get out of a BD for gaming is a quad. That is less that half there line-up to be aimed towards gamers.
May 14, 2011 1:19:59 PM

AMD usually prices cpus more aggressily, but everytime the performance is on par with Intels then at some point Intel will have to lower their prices. Competition is always great, if only we had one more major CPU maker in the same consumer sector as intel and AMD...
a c 117 à CPUs
May 14, 2011 1:53:47 PM

processor-pro said:
Bulldozer is basically aimed for gamers. It has *** build in GPU alot like SB, and basically the point is to build *** better AMD version of SB. It will be faster but Intel is working on Ivy bridge which is supposed to "Faster" but either way one is always gonna win so I don't even bother just buy whats best now.



Bulldozer Zambezi does not have an integrated GPU -- the upcoming Llano ***-series APUs include *** Redwood-class graphics processor with 'Stars' CPU cores.

In 2012, the 'real' Fusion APUs will include Bulldozer cores/modules with an integrated (yet to be named) GPGPU on die.

And AMD is not building *** 'better version of SB' -- their designs and plans could not be more divergent. They are both moving, however, toward *** SoC.

I suspect AMDs pricing to be quite aggressive (if their recent history with nVidia holds to form)


May 14, 2011 2:52:08 PM

BD may be on par with SB in some ways, but the BD does have some newer instructions that will probably start getting used in the next 1 or so, namely AVX.
May 14, 2011 5:25:47 PM

The intel's architecture of processor is considered as the world's most refined mean. Just take an example of 'sandybridge' CPU, i7 2600k is the fastest processor in the world today, the i7 980x (990x for now) has an old architecture named 'Nehalem', at time considered the fastest has now been beaten into dust by the 2600k. Before that, older i7 processors were outperformed by Nehalem, as we can say that, in the case of intel we have seen consistent improvement in performance with the change of architectural design, like Bloomfield < Nehalem < sandybridge.

But in the case of AMD, the performance improvement was inconsistent. eg: AMD Phenom II x6 1090 T black edition is slower than AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. The technology and architecture which AMD used was not up the par. Like 10mm and 10.00000000000000001 mm have the difference of 0.00000000000000001 mm which AMD considered as 10 mm and used the same measurments for their processors.

The intel is the sign of perfection but AMD is not. I doubt the success of bulldozer. The SB may beat it in dust
a c 127 à CPUs
May 14, 2011 5:29:34 PM

It depends. If it takes a 8 core BD to compete with SB, then I don't think SB will drop price much.

The other only does pricing based on the competition. If Intel is better in performance, AMD will lower their prices and seem to be the "cost friendly" option. If AMD is the better performer then its vice versa. AMD prices everything very high and Intel has some stuff a bit cheaper.

I think BD will be close to SB but not enough to make Intel really drop the pricing.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 5:29:47 PM

ATi RaDEoN said:
The intel's architecture of processor is considered as the world's most refined mean. Just take an example of 'sandybridge' CPU, i7 2600k is the fastest processor in the world today, the i7 980x (990x for now) has an old architecture named 'Nehalem', at time considered the fastest has now been beaten into dust by the 2600k. Before that, older i7 processors were outperformed by Nehalem, as we can say that, in the case of intel we have seen consistent improvement in performance with the change of architectural design, like Bloomfield < Nehalem < sandybridge.

But in the case of AMD, the performance improvement was inconsistent. eg: AMD Phenom II x6 1090 T black edition is slower than AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. The technology and architecture which AMD used was not up the par. Like 10mm and 10.00000000000000001 mm have the difference of 0.00000000000000001 mm which AMD considered as 10 mm and used the same measurments for their processors.

The intel is the sign of perfection but AMD is not. I doubt the success of bulldozer. The SB may beat it in dust

That is because the 965 and 1090 are both Phenom IIs. One has more cores than the other!
May 15, 2011 8:18:01 AM

Sandy Bridge currently are already very competitive, not just competitive with AMD but with Intel's first generation chips.

As far as future Intel chips it all depends on how Bulldozer performs in the real world. Intel will not price their chips competitively unless the performance requires them to do so. Considering how great the new Sandy Bridge chips perform and what is being said about Ivy Bridge I highly doubt AMD's Bulldozer will be able to perform on par to drive prices down.

So with that said, I'm not expecting too many Ivy Bridge chips to fall below the $500 price mark, and Sandy Bridge chips are already an excellent buy for a good quad core with great overclocking abilities.
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 15, 2011 12:47:53 PM

I agree with aaron. Sandy Bridge is already competitive.
May 15, 2011 4:07:27 PM

IMHO: Neither BD or SB-E are competing in the junior leagues so unless their pricing is way out of whack, I don't think that a difference of less than $100 or so is going to impact anyone seriously considering those CPUs. Let's face it... a typical SB-E rig is going to top two grand if done properly with a decent mobo, SSD and enough of that lovely quad channel RAM so the exact pricing of the CPU is not going to be as huge a factor as it would with an Atom build.
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 5:34:58 PM

halfcalf said:
IMHO: Neither BD or SB-E are competing in the junior leagues so unless their pricing is way out of whack, I don't think that a difference of less than $100 or so is going to impact anyone seriously considering those CPUs. Let's face it... a typical SB-E rig is going to top two grand if done properly with a decent mobo, SSD and enough of that lovely quad channel RAM so the exact pricing of the CPU is not going to be as huge a factor as it would with an Atom build.

Ummm, I don't think that is very true. You can build a SB system with $1,000. You just need to buy what you need. I would say $1,200 for a properly built SB system though. There is no quad-channel RAM that I know of. Correct me if I am wrong though, I would love to know more about it. Also, tri-channel RAM doesn't really impact performance much. Dual-channel is enough for most people, and the best z68 motherboard only supports dual channel. As far as SSDs go, you don't need it for a storage drive, only a boot drive.
May 15, 2011 7:54:49 PM

HostileDonut said:
Ummm, I don't think that is very true. You can build a SB system with $1,000. You just need to buy what you need. I would say $1,200 for a properly built SB system though. There is no quad-channel RAM that I know of. Correct me if I am wrong though, I would love to know more about it. Also, tri-channel RAM doesn't really impact performance much. Dual-channel is enough for most people, and the best z68 motherboard only supports dual channel. As far as SSDs go, you don't need it for a storage drive, only a boot drive.


Yeah, and you don't really need a case, you can make do with a 250w PSU and you can use a block of ice instead of an HSF... :pt1cable: 

The point is that most people are going to build serious and thus costly SB-E rigs and (like me) they're going to use every single byte of RAM that the quad channel on the X79 mobos allow. BTW, the LGA2011 mobos will all be quad-channel compatible, so look to filling out up to 8 delectable RAM slots! Wheeeeee! :bounce: 
May 15, 2011 8:01:50 PM

I really hope Bulldozer lives up to the hype.

I've seen some probably bogus youtube videos that claim a WEI of 7.9 for a developers bulldozer system. My fear is the site is just BULL minus the dozer, but I would love it if AMD hits it out of the park.
May 15, 2011 9:58:15 PM

I was an AMD fan for many years, then when Conroe came along and there was no direct competitor so I jumped to Intel. I've been extremely happy with all my Intel systems to date, but I'd be more than happy to go BD and not have to wait another few months for SB-E if BD is as great a CPU as some of these very unreliable leaks make it out to be! I think that it's difficult at this point to differentiate the truth from the nonsense but it should all shake out in the next couple of weeks! :) 
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 10:11:11 PM

halfcalf said:
Yeah, and you don't really need a case, you can make do with a 250w PSU and you can use a block of ice instead of an HSF... :pt1cable: 

The point is that most people are going to build serious and thus costly SB-E rigs and (like me) they're going to use every single byte of RAM that the quad channel on the X79 mobos allow. BTW, the LGA2011 mobos will all be quad-channel compatible, so look to filling out up to 8 delectable RAM slots! Wheeeeee! :bounce: 

You can build a serious system with 1.2 grand.
May 15, 2011 10:17:42 PM

Not likely on SB-E. The LGA2011 mobos alone will likely premiere at $300 and up, I doubt that the quad will sell for under $350, and then what's the point of leaving RAM slots empty... so there's another $300+ for 8 x 4 GB of the cheapest memory. We're around a grand and we still have a lot of components to buy. Sure, it can be done on the cheap, but it's like buying a Ferrari engine and shoehorning it into a Kia Rio. :) 
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2011 12:35:24 AM

halfcalf said:
Not likely on SB-E. The LGA2011 mobos alone will likely premiere at $300 and up, I doubt that the quad will sell for under $350, and then what's the point of leaving RAM slots empty... so there's another $300+ for 8 x 4 GB of the cheapest memory. We're around a grand and we still have a lot of components to buy. Sure, it can be done on the cheap, but it's like buying a Ferrari engine and shoehorning it into a Kia Rio. :) 

You don't need 4gb x 8 sticks.... Also, SB is not LGA 2011. OCing is better when using 2 slots. You don't need 32gb RAM. 8gb is fine if you want all slots filled... Also, you can find great LGA 1155 motherboard for $150 bucks. A high end GPU, 8gb RAM, a core i5 2500k, a nice CPU cooler, etc. will not cost $2,000. I have looked into it.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2011 12:43:55 AM

halfcalf said:
Not likely on SB-E. The LGA2011 mobos alone will likely premiere at $300 and up, I doubt that the quad will sell for under $350, and then what's the point of leaving RAM slots empty... so there's another $300+ for 8 x 4 GB of the cheapest memory. We're around a grand and we still have a lot of components to buy. Sure, it can be done on the cheap, but it's like buying a Ferrari engine and shoehorning it into a Kia Rio. :) 

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Sub... $1081.27 after rebates, 1196.27 before rebates. That has water cooling, SB 2500k, A CF/SLi motherboard, GTX 560, 8gb 1600 CAS 8 RAM, a very nice case, a wd black caviar 1tb, and a CD/DVD Burner. You could even add a very, very nice SDD and still keep it under 1.5 grand.
May 16, 2011 3:11:36 AM

My dear donut, please allow me to clarify. SB is Sandy Bridge which runs on the LGA1155. SB-E is the newest generation of Sandy Bridge which will be released in Q4 on the LGA2011 with the X79 chipset. There is some basic info on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

but you can look up lots more. I have not been discussing current SBs as I have zero interest in LGA1155, I am discussing SB-E. So your insistence on misreading what I am saying is putting you in the position of discussing a CPU series which is wholly irrelevant to the debate. Kindly update your information and then we can engage in a relevant discussion. Thanks! :) 
May 16, 2011 3:22:33 AM

halfcalf said:
My dear donut, please allow me to clarify. SB is Sandy Bridge which runs on the LGA1155. SB-E is the newest generation of Sandy Bridge which will be released in Q4 on the LGA2011 with the X79 chipset. There is some basic info on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

but you can look up lots more. I have not been discussing current SBs as I have zero interest in LGA1155, I am discussing SB-E. So your insistence on misreading what I am saying is putting you in the position of discussing a CPU series which is wholly irrelevant to the debate. Kindly update your information and then we can engage in a relevant discussion. Thanks! :) 


If I am reading you right you are speaking of the update for socket 1366, the other core i7 with the triple channel ram...

I just wish Intel would pick a socket and stick with it for a few months, er, years...

How long will 2011 last and what about "Ivy Bridge?" Will 2011 be Sandy or Ivy?
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2011 3:31:00 AM

halfcalf said:
My dear donut, please allow me to clarify. SB is Sandy Bridge which runs on the LGA1155. SB-E is the newest generation of Sandy Bridge which will be released in Q4 on the LGA2011 with the X79 chipset. There is some basic info on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

but you can look up lots more. I have not been discussing current SBs as I have zero interest in LGA1155, I am discussing SB-E. So your insistence on misreading what I am saying is putting you in the position of discussing a CPU series which is wholly irrelevant to the debate. Kindly update your information and then we can engage in a relevant discussion. Thanks! :) 

I think 2011 will be Ivy Bridge. This thread was about SB. Sorry for the misunderstanding though.
May 16, 2011 3:40:16 AM

No problem at all with the misunderstanding and no hard feelings at all since we're just discussing items of interest. I'm just a bit dismayed that you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of SB-E when the series which will include a quad and two hexas have been present on official Intel timelines for many months and as far as I am aware has never been disputed by anyone. SB-E will be released at least one quarter before IB. Do you have any evidence to dispute that fact, or is there something that I'm not aware of?
May 16, 2011 4:03:00 AM

halfcalf said:
No problem at all with the misunderstanding and no hard feelings at all since we're just discussing items of interest. I'm just a bit dismayed that you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of SB-E when the series which will include a quad and two hexas have been present on official Intel timelines for many months and as far as I am aware has never been disputed by anyone. SB-E will be released at least one quarter before IB. Do you have any evidence to dispute that fact, or is there something that I'm not aware of?



Aren't they maxed out at 1.6 ghz? At least that's what I read about the eight core on ebay
May 16, 2011 4:11:45 AM

The frustrating thing for me is no matter when you build your system you're kind of a fool for doing it because in only 3 -6 months down the road Emerald Bridge or Sandy Bulldozer or whatever is due out with support for USB 6.0 and pci express 3.5. The march forward of technology has become more of a flat-out run.

I just built a Core i5 2400 system, complete with two 1 TB drives. I'm looking to add a SSD for the OS soon. And my 550 ti graphics card is coming since I'm having issue with the Intel HD drivers. I just wonder how long before I look at this the way I see my Athlon XP Barton down in my man cave???
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2011 6:06:33 AM

Since when will BD be on par with SB and made for gaming? o.O
May 16, 2011 10:41:22 AM

kfitzenreiter: The ebay SB-E was an ES and they are traditionally clocked way low. But the top SB-E hexa and the quad are "supposed" to be 3.9 GHz on Turbo. As for the almost instantaneous obsolescence, I'm with you, brother... just read my signature. :( 

Raidur: What we know about BD's benchmarks is next to nothing. It could be a jet engine or a slug. Looks like we'll have to wait until the NDA is lifted early next month to see how BD stacks up on any performance standard.
!